Making TextAloud more productive

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

shmuelh

Making TextAloud more productive

Post by shmuelh »

Unless I'm missing something, TextAloud works only with TEXT files, and even if "fed" MS Word or WordPerfect files, it converts these to TXT files. This presents a basic program, in that it is impossible to review a file which has italics or underlining, as these don't come through when one wishes to check a file using TextAloud.
Another - possibly bigger - problem is that if one edits a file while listening to it with TextAloud, the changes are only saved in a TXT file - thus losing all the special formatting.
The only way I have found to overcome this problem is to open the file in two separate programs: in TextAloud and (in my case) in OpenOffice. This is a tremendous waste of time while editing.
Is there any consideration being given in having TextAloud work directly in MS Word rather than in TXT format?
Or am I missing something, and TextAloud does have such a feature?

Shmuel
Jim Bretti

Re: Making TextAloud more productive

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Shmuel,

You're not missing anything, that is how things currently work. We have talked doing something to retain text formatting in the TextAloud display. So it is on our list but I really don't have an estimate to give you on when we'll have it. It won't be in 3.0 for sure.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I find the TA toolbar for Microsoft Word invaluable for this sort of thing.
It probably doesn't work for Open Office though.
Dave UK
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

We've had a number of requests for toolbar for Open Office but we don't have it yet. It is on our to do list.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

As I'm finding the Microsoft policy of blocking transfer of office software between machines very irritating, especially as it is so expensive. A TextAloud toolbar for the free Open Office software would be very attractive. Is it available or on the radar yet? I would be happy to pay for this enhancement. :D
Dave UK
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Dave,

It is still on the list, other users have asked for it as well. No timetable yet on when we'll have it though.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com