Custom shortcuts no longer possible?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Fret44

Custom shortcuts no longer possible?

Post by Fret44 »

Before my most recent update, I had a couple custom shortcuts to insert pause tags of specific lengths.

After the update, these shortcuts are gone and I can't see any way to recreate them.

Am I missing something? I hope I am because that was a feature I used constantly.
Jim Bretti

Re: Custom shortcuts no longer possible?

Post by Jim Bretti »

It sounds like you're referring to keyboard shortcuts, configured using Shortcut Setup under the Tools menu. If you don't see Shortcut Setup under the Tools menu, look under the View menu and click "Reset Menu Usage", and if that doesn't work, try View -> Toolbar Options -> Reset Toolbars. Once you can get at Shortcut Setup, you should be able to configure keyboard shortcuts for your pauses. In the Shortcut Setup dialog, set the Category dropdown to "Insert Tags". The pause menu entries normally appear near the bottom of the list.

I can't explain why shortcuts would have been lost because of an upgrade, that really shouldn't happen. I'll do some checking though and see if there's a problem somewhere.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Fret44

Post by Fret44 »

Jim Bretti wrote:It sounds like you're referring to keyboard shortcuts, configured using Shortcut Setup under the Tools menu.
Correct.

I used to have two shortcuts to insert pause tags. One inserted {{Pause=2}}, and the other {{Pause=10}}. (The first had been ctrl-b, and the other ctrl-t.)

After my original inquiry, I did find a "Pause = 2" listing under the shortcuts menu, but the keyboard shortcut was missing. I corrected that.

But I'm still missing the old "Pause = 10" keyboard shortcut, and I don't see any way to recreate that using the shortcut setup window.

Am I overlooking something?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Menu entries for specific pause values are added to the submenu as you enter them from the prompt dialog. So click Insert Tags -> Pause, and in the popup menu enter your value of 10. That should add the submenu item "Pause = 10", which should then show up in the Shortcut Setup dialog.

Let me know if that doesn't work.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Fret44

Post by Fret44 »

I did exactly as you suggested, and never got a popup menu in which I could enter a value of 10. That was hitting the pause option at the very top of the insert list.

However, I then tried the following:

Insert Tags > Prompt for Pause Tag > "ctrl-t" > ok

Then I closed that window and returned to the document window. In the document window I:

"ctrl-t" > "10"

Then I returned to the shortcut setup screen and found a Pause = 10 entry at the bottom.

Next I cleared the ctrl-t at the Prompt for Pause Tag and set it up at the Pause = 10 tag.

In other words, I had to set up Shortcut 1 (pause for prompt) to set up Shortcut 2 (pause = 10).

This seems like a really circuitous way of a accomplishing this task.

I get the impression from your above advice that this might not be the way it's supposed to work.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Definitely sounds like some kind of problem. It may be that one of your TA configuration files was somehow corrupted ... something like could have lead to the original problem of losing the shortcuts in the first place.

If you continue having problems you may want to try resetting your toolbars. From the TextAloud menu, click View -> Toolbar Options -> Reset Toolbars. This should reset all toolbars and menus to their default states. That may get the popup menu working correctly again. The reset will remove your keyboard shortcuts so you'll need to recreate them after the reset.

Let me know if you try this and it doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com