"Audio File Tags"

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

LarryLaser

"Audio File Tags"

Post by LarryLaser »

Could you inform me of the "code" usage for the "Audio File Tags" replaceable parameters??

You only have these following parameters listed in the help file, but no details on the code usage,
  • %AudioFileName%
    %Title%
    %Voice%
    %ShortVoice%
    %VoiceSpeed%
    %VoicePitch%
    %DateTime%
    %Date%
    %Time%
    %Year%
    %EncoderName%
    %QualitySettings%
    %VoiceLanguage%
For instance, "MP3TAG" program (I use for data tags) is extensive also.
Replace
  • Command: $replace(string,from,to) or $replace(string,from1,to1,from2,to2,...)
    Example: $replace(%artist% - %album% - %track% - %title%,_,-)
    This example replaces all underscores to dashes. You can provide additional pairs of from/to as parameters.
I need more information for the code work, I always work on "Making Correct" the details of the work I do. This Is needed for me and many others. My wish is that you create or submit the In-depth details of the code usage for pronunciations, tags, dictionary's, and any other data needed for proper work, in document or in the help file.

Thanks
Larry
Jim Bretti

Re: "Audio File Tags"

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Larry,

I'm sorry but I'm not following what you're looking for. If you click Tools -> Audio File Options -> Audio File Tags, and click the Help button at the bottom left, the help file should describe how each replaceable parameter is used in a tag. TextAloud does not currently have any code you can write to manipulate these values, like the Replace function you mentioned. The only thing you can do is include these replaceable parameters in your tag strings, and TextAloud will automatically replace them. For example, a tag can contain the following: "Created: %DateTime%". TextAloud simply replaces %DateTime% with the current date and time.

Does that help?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
LarryLaser

Post by LarryLaser »

No Jim,
The Help file does not have any other Tag sets, Just the common default as in the list I stated.
  • %AudioFileName%
    %Title%
    %Voice%
    %ShortVoice%
    %VoiceSpeed%
    %VoicePitch%
    %DateTime%
    %Date%
    %Time%
    %Year%
    %EncoderName%
    %QualitySettings%
    %VoiceLanguage%
In the %AudioFileName% It makes up its own file name, basically from the first 2 lines of the text.
PP - Patriarchs and Prophets (1890).

Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted?
as this
PP - Patriarchs and Prophets (1890) Chapter 1
Instead I should tell it to use the File Name only, "Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted"(.txt or any other format)
Thanks Jim
Larry
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry but I'm still a little confused ... lets go over what should be happening. If you generate an mp3 file from an article in TextAloud, the file name is generated from the article title. So if the article title is "xyz", TextAloud should create an audio file named xyz.mp3. The value of %AudioFileName% should be xyz.mp3 ... the name of the audio file. If you use %AudioFileName% in a tag, it should be replaced by xyz.mp3.

To control the file name (and the value of %AudioFileName%) you change the article title.

So is the problem you're having with %AudioFileName% actually a problem with the article title? Or are you running into a situation where this is not working correctly?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
LarryLaser

Post by LarryLaser »

Jim

The %AudioFileName% should not make up its own name, It should only be the file name. As I stated,

The first line;
PP - Patriarchs and Prophets (1890).

the second line;
Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted?

as this is what shows up in the "Article List:" label
PP - Patriarchs and Prophets (1890) Chapter 1
The file name is "Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted.txt"
I have to batch convert many files, and they must have the original file name ".mp3" in the production.
That is why I stated
I need more information for the code work, I always work on "Making Correct" the details of the work I do.
Do you not have the details or capabilities to change the codes used in settings in depth?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The string %AudioFileName% is just a special string defined by TextAloud. TextAloud should replace that string with the name of the file. If it isn't working that way there is a bug.

One thing to try though ... click Tools -> TextAloud Options. On the TextAloud Options panel, click the Article Options tab. Under the Article Titles section, there is a checkbox labeled "Use Document name as article title when loading text from documents". Is that checkbox selected? If not, try selecting it. Then, If you load a text file named "Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted.txt" into TextAloud, the Article Title will default to "Chapter 1 - Why was Sin Permitted". When you write an mp3 file from this article, the name of the file will be "Chapter 1 - Why was sin permitted.mp3", and should match %AudioFileName%.

Does that help with the problem?

If it doesn't help you may have found a bug. Duplicate this problem creating a small audio file. Once the audio file has been created, go to the TextAloud main window, click Help -> Open Data Folder, and locate the files TextAloudMP3.dbg, TextAloudMP31.dbg, TextAloudMP32.dbg and TextAloudMP33.dbg. Attach these files to an email and send them to me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
LarryLaser

Post by LarryLaser »

Yep, There is a Bug;

But, Its not in the TextAloud, its in my head.
Evidently I either did not understand the checkbox you mentioned,
Under the Article Titles section, there is a checkbox labeled "Use Document name as article title when loading text from documents". Is that checkbox selected? If not, try selecting it.
I could have thought that I already had the box checked, but not.
Use document name as article title when loading text from documents If this option is checked, the document name is used as the article title when articles are loaded via File -> Open. The directory path and file extension are not included in the title.
But I must have not noticed that in the help file page of the "Article Options panel " as well.

Reloaded file and the "Article List:" is corrected.

Thanks Jim.