Change default pc voice in Win7 x64

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Roundtree

Change default pc voice in Win7 x64

Post by Roundtree »

I have several premium voices installed in my computer for use with TA3. They are working just fine in TA3. However, the default voice for my computer is still the Microsoft Anna voice with came installed with Win7. I do not know how to change from Microsoft Anna to AT&T Crystal.

I am using Win7 Ultimate x64.

Please help me.

Thank you.
Jim Bretti

Re: Change default pc voice in Win7 x64

Post by Jim Bretti »

The default voice in Windows is set on the Windows speech control panel, but an issue you're going to run into is that 64 bit versions of AT&T voices are not currently available. On Windows 7 64 bit, click your control panel, and set the 'View By' to "Category". Then, click "Ease of Access" -> "Speech Recognition". In the left pane of the Speech Recognition setup, you'll see a link for 'Text To Speech'. Click that, and you'll be able to configure the windows default voice for 64 bit applications. This panel will display only 64 bit voices, so AT&T voices will not appear.

To configure the windows default voice for 32 bit voices, click your Start button, then click Computer. Copy and paste the following into the address field in Windows Explorer:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

This control panel will display your 32 bit voices, and AT&T voices should appear in this control panel. So you can then set Crystal as the default voice, but only for 32 bit applications.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com