Is it possible to store Articles elsewhere?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Terry@nz

Is it possible to store Articles elsewhere?

Post by Terry@nz »

Can I store Articles on a different drive/partition?

Terry
Jim Bretti

Re: Is it possible to store Articles elsewhere?

Post by Jim Bretti »

There is currently not a way in TextAloud to do this, but you should be able to do it with something called a 'symbolic link'. Basically you create a link called "Articles", located in the directory where the Articles folder is normally located, where the link points at the actual folder. A symbolic link should allow the target to be on a different drive / partition.

There is an example and some documetation at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... S.10).aspx.

The steps to do this for the TextAloud articles folder would go like this...

1. Exit TextAloud if it is running.

2. Copy the Articles folder to the location where you want it.

3. Delete the original Articles folder from the TextAloud data folder.

4. Start a Command Prompt as administrator. (You need to be running as admin to create the symbolic link)

5. Change directories to the TextAloud Data folder:
cd "%userprofile%\local settings\application data\nextup\textaloud"

6. Run the mklink command to create the symbolic link, named Articles, and link it to the path where the articles are actually stored:
mklink /d Articles ".... your path goes here, in double quotes ...."

After step 6, you should have a folder in your TextAloud data folder named "Articles", with a shortcut overlay on the folder. Right click the folder, click Properties, click the shortcut tab, and verify that "Target" is pointing at the correct directory.

I haven't tried running TextAloud like this but I think it should work ... let me know how it goes.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Terry@nz

Re: Is it possible to store Articles elsewhere?

Post by Terry@nz »

Cool!
It works. I didn't know about this.
And now I am going to try the same trick with the Thunderbird Address Book which insists on being on the C: drive.
Thanks, Jim.

Terry