Plugins for Google Chrome and Microsoft OneNote?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

loneraver

Plugins for Google Chrome and Microsoft OneNote?

Post by loneraver »

Hi guys,
I wanted to let you know that you have the most helpful product in the world for students. It has proved time and time again valuable for helping me proofread my academic papers. I'm sure that I would have never done so well in my undergrad without TextAloud reading my paper back to me. Now a few years have gone by and things have changed since I first started using TextAloud. These days, I use a lot of chrome because of how unbelievably fast it is and I use a lot of Microsoft OneNote for organizing my notes. Sadly, there is no integration with TextAloud for either of these products. For this reason, I would like to know if you where any closer to releasing a chrome plugin? What about a MS OneNote plugin? I use TextAloud a lot when I'm working on my master's thesis. it'd be nice to work in TextAloud with my research. I'm really tired of copying and pasting into word or your standalone program. it'd be nice to have the same intergration that I have in MS word which make my life so much better.

BTW, I used textaloud to proof read this post and it helped there too.
Jim Bretti

Re: Plugins for Google Chrome and Microsoft OneNote?

Post by Jim Bretti »

We haven't looked at either of these yet. Requests for integration with both OneNote and Chrome come up often, so they are definitely on the list. Sorry I don't have better news but hopefully we'll be able to get to them soon.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
flashweb

Post by flashweb »

Just a small speaker icon like in extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lanhpmhmje#

will be fine for chrome. While speaking, make the icon change to stop. Only play and stop, so it won't take much space. I hate toolbars that take lot of space.
voiceboxer

Post by voiceboxer »

Any updates Jim? Chrome seems to be taking over the planet along with the rest of the Google empire. There is no doubt it is the best browser out there. I know that when I am working on my email marketing stuff I always make sure to work in Chrome. It just seems like some of my favorite applications are having a harder time catching up. In the world of prominent IT jobs and internet usage I am honestly surprised at the slow adaptation rate.
Last edited by voiceboxer on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry, but no updates to report here. Chrome is very high on the list, but we just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

loneraver wrote:,
. For this reason, I would like to know if you where any closer to releasing a chrome plugin? What about a MS OneNote plugin? I use TextAloud a lot when I'm working on my master's thesis. it'd be nice to work in TextAloud with my research. I'm really tired of copying and pasting into word or your standalone program. it'd be nice to have the same intergration that I have in MS word which make my life so much better.
BTW, I used textaloud to proof read this post and it helped there too.

I use Chrome as well and I also use other software from time to time where I absolutely need TextAloud to read my selected text. My solution, often even when using Firefox, is to highlight the text and use keyboard shortcuts/hotkeys with TextAloud. It works very well for me and, as illustration, physical disability means I must do everything by voice. Tips:

In Google Chrome and much other software you can highlight any contiguous block of text by triple clicking. I use a macro with my speech recognition for the purpose but you can use your mouse or, I would suppose, other favorite macro program. Once you have a block of text highlighted you can extend the block using the usual suspect keys, such as the Shift key with arrow keys or, as an example of selecting from and including the current block to the end of the text, "Ctrl+Shift+End". Then use the TextAloud hotkey for reading the text.

I don't know about Microsoft OneNote but there are instances where this will not work. A sad example of this would be the web browser Opera. Otherwise, perhaps at least an interim solution for you.

Bruce
geneven

Post by geneven »

I would like to add myself to the clamor of users wanting to use TextAloud with Google Chrome. I just got a new laptop, haven't been running Windows for ages, but now I am and the first two things I did were delete Internet Explorer from my desktop and open Google Chrome. I philosophically prefer Firefox, since it is freer, but I find Chrome clearly preferable for my purposes, unfortunately. So it may be some time before I even install Firefox. If I do. Same goes for Opera. It's great, but Chrome is just too good.
jdogg13

Post by jdogg13 »

I would also like to see a plug-in for Chrome.
DeeJayNYC

Post by DeeJayNYC »

I would also LOVE it if you would create a "Speak Selected" Button for Google Chrome!

Thanks.
Chuck B

Post by Chuck B »

Well, here it is 3 or 4 years later . . . any movement on developing a plug in for Google Chrome? It's sorely missed in my home office! ;-)
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry but no news to report yet. A Chrome extension is probably one of the most requested new features, so it is still high on the list.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
jdennis7118

Post by jdennis7118 »

Another year, any update on the Google Chrome Plugin? I believe this string started in 2011
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Yes, we did release a TextAloud extension for Chrome in TextAloud version 3.0.89. If you're running a version of TextAloud earlier than that, you can download an installer for the current version at http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
andrewpinney

Post by andrewpinney »

Any hope for a plug-in for Microsoft OneNote? I know there are multiple platforms for OneNote, but if you were choosing one, hard-core OneNote users prefer OneNote 2016 desktop. Many thanks.