*.csv vs. *.chl Dictionaries

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

john.goley

*.csv vs. *.chl Dictionaries

Post by john.goley »

Jim, Percy,

As you know when TA3 installs, it puts the dictionary in the directory C:\......\Dictionaries\ with a *.chl extension.

When Bridget from NeoSpeech installs it creates the following 3 files, one of which is a dictionary with a *.csv extension.

The 3 Installed files:

UserDicBre.exe is the British English Pronunciation Editor,

userdict_bre.csv is the British English User Dictionary,

UserDicBre_e.chm is the help file for the British English Pronunciation Editor.

According to the help file, Bridget uses the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

I have played around with this editor and the symbols of the IPA and found that I can get a better pronunciation for some words than using the Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance of TA3. The Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance does not seem to allow the use of the IPA symbols or Phonemes. The test button is grayed out even though I think Bridget supports Phonemes.

Unfortunately the Bridget Pronunciation Editor works with *.csv files while the Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance of TA3 works with *.chl files.

Is there any way to integrate the two, or use the IPA symbols in the Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance?

John
Jim Bretti

Re: *.csv vs. *.chl Dictionaries

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi John,

The test button on the dictionary entry edit window is normally grayed out when Phonemes is selected for Pronounce Using. Try clicking the Phoneme Helper button, and use the Test button on the Helper dialog.

There is currently not a way to integrate the two dictionaries, its something we may look at doing in future versions.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
john.goley

Post by john.goley »

Jim

I had already used the Phoneme Helper Button to build a Phoneme and when I clicked on the Test Button it acted like it was testing the Phoneme but no sound came out. So I assumed that Phonemes were not supported with Bridget.

So with your suggestion I went ahead and built the Phoneme and saved it. Then I tested the Simple Text/Respell word vs. the Simple Text/Phoneme word and Bridget actually read the Simple Text/Phoneme word better than the Simple Text/Respell word.

So I guess it works, but why does the Phoneme Helper Test Button give no sound?

You cannot get a test of the word until you have saved the Phoneme word and "Speak" it in a new article.

Is the Phoneme Helper Test Button giving no sound, a bug?

John
john.goley

Post by john.goley »

Jim

Just a followup on the Phoneme Helper Test Button. I found that once the Phoneme was created and I clicked the OK Button; then clicked back on the Phoneme Helper Button; the Phoneme Helper Test Button gives the sound of the Phoneme.

Weird. Maybe you only need to work on the Phoneme Helper Test Button on it's first click, not on later clicks for the same previously created Phenome?

John
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for the update John, I'll check it out.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
john.goley

Post by john.goley »

Jim

The Phoneme Helper Test Button works about half the time on the first click after creating a Phoneme. I don't know if this is because many of the words that I am trying to fix are Biblical words that are from the old King's English. So the button does work part of the time on the first click, just not everytime.

John