Wish for Pronunciation Editor / Dictionary

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Byte2Hard

Wish for Pronunciation Editor / Dictionary

Post by Byte2Hard »

Hi Jim,
I have used TextAloud for many years, but this is my first time writing in this forum. My biggest grip with TextAloud is not being able to Save, Import and Export the Pronunciation Dictionary. I have had to reformat my computers only to loose all my pronunciations and have to start all over again. I got this Idea, if we could create and even exchange Pronunciations, there could be an open forum to creating all kinds of dictionary's. Example, I played around with one to get a voice to have a hip lingo, ( Yo Word) just to make things interesting and fun. I would like to be able to create others that sound like South Boston, with all their colorful lingo, and be able to turn this pronunciation on and off as well as save and export. There can also be a community dictionary to create all kinds of dictionary's.
Here are some examples for building exports:
Medical
Computers
Fun Humor (Geographic Lingo)
Science

This has been my wish for TextAloud for some time and seems it would have been a natural progression for the software; so here's my nudge and 2 cents.

Thanks,
Rob
Jim Bretti

Re: Wish for Pronunciation Editor / Dictionary

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Rob,

We'll try to get dictionary import / export in a future TextAloud update. You can currently move the dictionary files around manually ... click Help -> Open Data Folder. Your dictionary files are located in the Dictionaries folder. You can save and restore these files as needed, and move them to other machines. Also, you can move / copy dictionary entries between dictionaries by selecting dictionary entries in one dictionary and dragging to another one. (Dictionary entries are copied if you hold the Ctrl key while dragging, otherwise the entries are moved).

We do need the import capability though to allow you to import a dictionary into any dictionary you specify, perform the checks needed for duplicate entries, and handle cases where dictionary associations (voice / language / vendor) specified in the dictionary you're importing are not valid.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Byte2Hard

Post by Byte2Hard »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for taking my wish into consideration and helping me backup my existing dictionaries.

Wishing you the best.
Rob
adawe

Post by adawe »

good just what i was looking for

easier way to import/export dictionary/settings would be nice for sure.

esp now with ppl having multiple puters and tablets...
ScipioAfricanus

Post by ScipioAfricanus »

Thank you for this information on the manual export. I would encourage Nextup to place this information prominently in the help section and perhaps even as a video tutorial. This is extremely invaluable information.

Many Thanks,
Scipio.