How to remove references [0-9] from article?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

katejones

How to remove references [0-9] from article?

Post by katejones »

I'm transcribing pubmed articles to mp3. There has to be a faster way to remove all those pesky references, than manually removing them one by one.

References are in [1] of [1,3] format, so numbers (sometimes separated by a comma) in between brackets.

I don't know if this can be done in TextAloud , but any other solution (Word/OpenOffice/...) is welcome too.

I tried searching for [\[0-9\]] this regular expression in Edit-Replace, but I don't think regular expressions work for replacing text?
Jim Bretti

Re: How to remove references [0-9] from article?

Post by Jim Bretti »

You can use TextAloud's pronunciation editor to handle this kind of problem (Tools -> Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance). Create a dictionary entry and set the Text Matching dropdown to "Regular Expression". Enter your regular expression for matching the text you want to remove, then set the Pronounce Using dropdown to "Skip Text".

There is a related post at http://nextup.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6439.

Just post here if you need help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
katejones

Post by katejones »

Thanks - just skipping them would work well for sound.

(But I'd still also like to also be able to remove them from the text .. )
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

We currently don't have regular expression support in TextAloud search/replace, it is planned for a future update. In the meantime one option would be to use another text editor that supports regular expressions. One that I use is called Notepad++, at http://notepad-plus-plus.org/, it is free and has regular expression support for search and replace. So you could edit text files with this (or some other) editor, then load the edited text into TextAloud.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
katejones

Post by katejones »

I tried in Microsoft Word but that didn't work.

I also had Bluefish installed (similar to Notepad++ I think) - and this works perfectly to select (and remove) all [number] references :)

Code: Select all

[[0-9]+]