Ignoring font type

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

nlecursi

Ignoring font type

Post by nlecursi »

Hi, I'm new to TA, and new to this forum.

Is there any way to tell TA to ignore all superscripts?

I am using TA as a proofreading tool - it's amazing how many of my writing errors become immediately apparent when read back to me by TA (especially when read using a less familiar accent).

I'm using the program currently for technical writing, where I'm also using lots of references in my document. The reference style (in Word 2010) inserts superscripts in the body of the text.

It is distracting (and seems less effective) if these superscripts are read and so I'd like TA to ignore these (all) superscripts.

As an interim solution, I've tried having TA ignore numbers (the superscripts are numbers), but in cases where there are multiple references they may appear as a series of superscripted numbers (34,36) or as a range (11-14). In these cases, ignoring numbers doesn't work.

Any thoughts and/or help are greatly appreciated.

N
Jim Bretti

Re: Ignoring font type

Post by Jim Bretti »

There is currently not a way to filter text by font, I don't know of any way to filter the superscripts other than to filter the numbers entirely. This would be a nice feature to have, and it is on our to do list. We'll try to add it in future version.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
nlecursi

Post by nlecursi »

Thanks for the answer. N
jamescobalt

Post by jamescobalt »

I know this is a few years old but wondering if it's now a feature. I use TTS on my macbook to read my school textbooks which are filled with superscript citations. It's really annoying. I'd boot to Windows if there was a Windows-only TTS engine that could be customized to ignore superscript.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry but currently no way to automatically skip superscript fonts.

This kind of question comes up a fair amount, we'll see if its something we can add in a future release.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
PHenry1026

Post by PHenry1026 »

Deleting or ignoring superscripts (footnotes) is the wrong approach since these representations (usually in the form of public.1, public.2, etc.) contain very good information that you can use regular expressions to pronounce properly and convey that these are footnotes or endnotes.