screen reader compatibility mode

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

blake31

screen reader compatibility mode

Post by blake31 »

What does screen reader compatibility mode do to make TextAloud more accessible for screen reader users? I have it on because I use screen-reading software, but am uncertain what the option does. I already reviewed the help file briefly but could not find an answer there. I also have a feature request which could help with access for screen-reader users. In the Voice Options dialog where a default voice is selected, I can not find text labels on the three sliders. I assume they are for pitch, speed and volume, but don't know which is which. Although I could test each slider by changing it and pressing the Test button, text labels on these sliders would make identification easier.
Jim Bretti

Re: screen reader compatibility mode

Post by Jim Bretti »

Screenreader mode only has to do with the menu / toolbar system we use in TextAloud. I'll check on the trackbars, I just noticed the same thing. I'll see if there's a way we can fix that. If you see other screenreader related issues please let me know.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
blake31

Post by blake31 »

Jim, If I find any additional screen-reader difficulties in TA, I will definitely inform you. TextAloud is a fantastic product! :wink:
ejmiller1946

Post by ejmiller1946 »

Yes, I used the Text Aloud 3 Firefox Add-on to read long fine print articles and all of a sudden, the toolbar didn't work. Could not get Speak, speed, voice, or any of the control buttons to show in the tool bar.

I would truly appreciate it if this bug can be fixed.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

If the toolbar buttons do not display on the toolbar here are some things you can try.

One possibility is that you're not running the current version of TextAloud. Firefox 39 was just released recently, and we added support for this version in TextAloud version 3.0.83. So from the TextAloud menu, click Help -> About. If the version displayed is less than 3.0.83, update to the current version using the installer at http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.

If that is not the problem, there are some tips on troubleshooting problems with the Firefox toolbar at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6554

If you're not able to get the toolbar to work send me an email at jim@nextup.com and we'll do some more debugging.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com