Changing intonation of certain words.

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

luisfernandez

Changing intonation of certain words.

Post by luisfernandez »

Hello,
I note that when TextAloud reads a word followed by a comma makes the same intonation as when it follows a period.
Thus the speech is done as if every sentence ending up on a point and reading is not good.
Is there any way to modify the intonation of words that have a comma after and are the phrases that make up a paragraph?
Sorry for my English, give you an example why:
"on the table, which is blue, there is a book"
it reads like:
"on the table. which is blue. There is a book".

Thanks in advance and best regards.
blake31

Re: Changing intonation of certain words.

Post by blake31 »

luisfernandez, What voices from NextUp are installed on your computer?
luisfernandez

Post by luisfernandez »

Hello,
I have a Portuguese voice from acappela and two ivona voices, Spanish and English.

Is there a table for managing the intonation of words according to punctuation ?, eg: "comma followed by a space", "interrogation", etc ...

Best regards.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Unfortunately we do not have anything like this built into TextAloud for controlling intonation. You may get some ideas from others in the forum but in general, intonation is handled in the voice engines and it is hard to control from TextAloud.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
luisfernandez

Post by luisfernandez »

Hello,

first of all thanks for the reply.

Attempt to modify the editor of phonemes but do not know what evil does not.
Assign the language and dialect to a new Dictionary.
Enter "pronuntiation Dictionary Maintenance", then "New Dictionary Entry" in "Text Matching (Simple Text)" I type a word "cinco" in "Using Pronounce (Phonemes)" and then give the button "Phoneme Helper" . In "Sounds Like" the word "cinco" appears, but when you give the "Generate" button nothing happens and does not generate the Phonema for editing and hear the result.
I do not know if I'm doing well or not.

Can I get help with that ?.

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The Generate button doesn't always work. There is a feature in Sapi5 that we use to request this information from the voice, and there are some voices that do not support it. Off the top, Acapela voices do not support Sapi5 phonemes at all. Ivona voices support sapi5 phonemes but do not support this Generate feature.

I need to add some sort of check on the Generate button to indicate that we're not getting anything back from the voice engine.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
PHenry1026

Post by PHenry1026 »

Greetings,

I tested your sample provided test using Acapela's Graham:

"on the table, which is blue, there is a book"
it reads like:
"on the table. which is blue. There is a book

I found the intonation (pitch changes) for both sentences as would be expected and there is a distinct difference between the pronunciation with commas versus periods.
luisfernandez

Post by luisfernandez »

It is true that there are slight differences in the two readings, but none of them is the natural way to do it. I am interested in reading it as real as possible and I'm looking for ways that the intonation is correct.
According to what I've found so far is not possible to change the pitch of the readings, Acapela voices have bought and ivona and none is possible to do that.

In the above example the phrase "Which is blue" should work as if in parentheses. If it is enclosed in parentheses reading nothing happens. Reading is like three sentences were independent. The truth is that sounds pretty bad.

Is there any software that can handle the singing of the speeches?

Thanks for your answers and best regards.