HotKey for Controlling Speed

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

BarDev

HotKey for Controlling Speed

Post by BarDev »

I like the TextAloud application, but one feature that keeps me from using it and using other TTS application is that I cannot manage the speed with my keyboard by using a hotkey. This feature is needed for me to use this application as my default text to speech reader.

BarDev
PHenry1026

Re: HotKey for Controlling Speed

Post by PHenry1026 »

If you have not purchased TextAloud, how do you know this feature is not available in TextAloud?
blake31

Post by blake31 »

Bardev, I think that your feature request of a TextAloud hotkey for changing voice speed is a great idea. I also rely on a keybord. One of the reasons I purchased TA several years ago is the ease of use via keyboard. I don't know if a voice speed hotkey is something which Jim, the awesome programmer of TA, can implement.

As a workaround, have you tried creating a hotkey for Change Default Voice? I am refering to the Hotkey Setup feature in the TextAloud tools menu, accessed by pressing alt-t then h. One of the hotkey options is Change Default Voice. Wit the Hotkey Setup screen open, Create New Hotkey is f6, Edit Hotkey is f7 and Delete is f8.

I could not get the hotkey I created for this function to work but maybe my computer is just being grouchy lol. If creating a Change Default Voice hotkey works for you, you should be able to change the speed by tabbing in the default voice dialog until you find the speed slider.
PHenry1026

Post by PHenry1026 »

You are missing the point, up until a week ago the user claims that he has not purchased TextAloud: see his post viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6678#p16369
blake31

Post by blake31 »

PHenry, I offered a suggestion in my prior post in case Bardev's trial has not yet expired. Bardev, I recommend purchasing TA if you have not done so already. As a follow-up to my previous post on this topic, I also suggest creating a pause/resume hotkey. It is one of the choices in Create New Hotkey under Hotkey Setup. The pause/resume hotkey definitely works on my system after creation. You could then press that hotkey to pause speech, change speed via tools, Voice Options, then resume text-to-speech. Although somewhat more time-consuming compared to hotkeys for speedup/slowdown, it's a workaround.
PHenry1026

Post by PHenry1026 »

That's all fine but I think, the user should purchase TextAloud before blackmailing for features he/she would like. Why can this person just ask for help.
Last edited by PHenry1026 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarDev

Post by BarDev »

Nevermind my question. I found where I can edit shortcut keys. For others who need Shortcut keys, you can access it from the menu Tool -> Shortcut Setup

Thanks
Bardev
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

As BarDev pointed out, you can use Shortcut Setup to map keyboard shortcuts to menu entries under the Insert Tags menu.

I really never thought of a hotkey to control speed. It is an interesting idea, I'll look at it and see if we can pick it up in a future release
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com