TextAloud Version 3.0.89 is available

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jim Bretti

TextAloud Version 3.0.89 is available

Post by Jim Bretti »

You can download TextAloud version 3.0.89 from: http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe

Release notes are at http://tinyurl.com/ta3releasenotes1

Note that version 3.0.89 contains a new extension for the Chrome browser. If you use Chrome, please give the extension a try. If you have feedback send us an email at support@nextup.com, or email me directly at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
bgeller

Re: TextAloud Version 3.0.89 is available

Post by bgeller »

For the new Chrome extension are there any key shortcuts? Also is there a way to speak the highlighted text within a user input text box, does not seem to work for me?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

See this post for instructions on setting up keyboard shortcuts for the extension:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6897

We'll need to look at adding support for speaking selected text in input fields.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
bgeller

Post by bgeller »

Jim Bretti wrote:See this post for instructions on setting up keyboard shortcuts for the extension:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6897

We'll need to look at adding support for speaking selected text in input fields.
Thanks! BTW since Edge is most likely going to support HTML/JS based extensions similar to Chome, I am guessing this extension will be ported to Edge.
dlehman

Post by dlehman »

Thank you so much for adding this extension, I've been waiting years for this.
The recent firefox updates have caused it to freeze when stopping playback, and I was exploring alternatives.

I installed the update today to this wonderful surprise, I'll put it through its paces Monday.

Again thank you so much for this.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Let me know if you run into any problems with the new Chrome extension. Also, if you happen to have any details on the Firefox freeze when stopping playback, please send them to me at jim@nextup.com. We have not heard of this before, and I cannot seem to duplicate the problem myself, so we'll need to more investigating.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
dlehman

Post by dlehman »

Hi Jim,
I didn't use firefox much today, but it usually happens with frequent starts and stops, such as reading forum posts. Here is some detail on my experience with chrome today.

First my preferred mode is read from cursor so that is what all these are;
Reading email (gmail) worked perfect.
Writing email was odd, a previous post said the extension would not read input boxes. If the cursor was just sitting there it would not read, highlight the first word, it would continue to read until stopped.

Reading helpdesk tickets worked, writing them, it would not read, the input box issue again, but highlighting the first word didn't work.

Reading forum posts will all the starts and stops that go along with that, worked perfect not the first freeze.
Writing a post, same input box issue.

The input box issue isn't a huge deal to me, as I have a key combo set for the vocal proof read. That is what I normally do for input boxes. I just checked in FF and it will read some input boxes, but not others.

Replying on this forum, neither FF or chrome will read this post without the vocal proof read.
Replying on another forum FF will read the text, but chrome will not.

If I'm typing the reply it is easy to hit CTRL+A to select all, then my combo to proof read.
The extension in chrome is handy because manually selecting text to proof read such as a news article is tedious when it spans pages, or has an ad in the middle. Now I can read from the top of the article like in FF.

Thanks,
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks! That is great feedback.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com