Turn off error messages?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

simo90

Turn off error messages?

Post by simo90 »

I often copy 1-2 minutes worth of text so TextAloud can read it to me. However, while I'm listening, I continue to work on the computer which includes copying and pasting text. Of course, every time I copy text, while TextAloud is reading the previously copied text, it gives me the error message, "This article is currently being spoken and cannot be deleted."

Is there a way to tell TextAloud not to give that error message? I want to be able to copy text to the clipboard and TextAloud read it back to me, then continue to read it to me while I copy and paste text in a document; yet, I don't want the multitude of error messages which means that I also have to continue to reclick in the program I'm formatting so that program regains focus so I can continue to type in it.
Jim Bretti

Re: Turn off error messages?

Post by Jim Bretti »

There are a couple ways we might handle this.

First, in TextAloud 4, there is a new option (in Clipboard Options) to ignore clipboard updates while speaking is in progress. I think that option by itself would solve the issue. TextAloud 4 is still in beta, if you're interested in trying the beta send me an email at jim@nextup.com

We should handle this better in TextAloud 3, but here is one possible workaround. Instead of using the clipboard monitor to add articles to TextAloud, and automatically speak articles as they are added, try using the clipboard action "Speak Text". From the TextAloud menu, click Tools -> Clipboard Options, and change the Default Action to Speak Text. Then as you copy text to the clipboard, clicking the "Perform" button on the clipboard prompt will just speak the text on the clipboard, without creating an article. The prompt will display on each clipboard copy, you just ignore the prompts you don't want to speak.

Also with this setup, clicking the Perform button to speak text will cancel any speaking already in progress. You won't need to wait for one speak request to complete before starting another.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com