Highlighting Settings Buggy

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

ernestsera

Highlighting Settings Buggy

Post by ernestsera »

The 'custom' highlighting options simply do not work in this beta version so I've reverted back to the old one.

I am using the charcoal theme for beta 4 and have tried to use my old settings from version 3:

ARTICLE FONT AND COLORS
ARIAL
REGULAR

NORMAL FOREGROUND (RGB) 70, 70, 70
NORMAL BACKGROUND (RGB) 191, 196, 157

PRIMARY HIGHLIGHTING: WORD
UNDERLINE
HIGHLIGHT FOREGROUND (RGB) 0, 0, 0
HIGHLIGHT BACKGROUND (RGB) 255, 255, 128

SECONDARY HIGHLIGHTING: LINE
HIGHLIGHT FOREGROUND (RGB) 0, 0, 0
HIGHLIGHT BACKGROUND (RGB) 255, 255, 128
Jim Bretti

Re: Highlighting Settings Buggy

Post by Jim Bretti »

Would you please give me more detail on the problem you're having? I'm not following what you mean by 'custom highlighting options simply do not work'.

Are you having problems using the dialog itself, or do you mean the highlighting options aren't working correctly once you're configured them?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
fammai57

Re: more voice nuances for TextAloud 4

Post by fammai57 »

I installed Text Aloud 4 Beta and found it greatly useful. I am a teacher of English and French. I often have to build dialogues for my classes. Most of the voice engines installed on my computer work well on TextAloud 4 Beta, but I wish your technicians would add nuances to the voices denoting emotion - surprise, anger, disappointment, happiness, etc.
I think many other users of Text Aloud have the same idea.
Yours sincerely,
Fam Mai
ernestsera

Post by ernestsera »

I only checked the forums again now...

Let me rephrase myself:

Actually, adjusting the highlighting settings does work fine when the themes are not used. However, when you enable a THEME, changing highlighting settings to 'custom' (i.e. colors) does not work at all or rather the program forgets your custom highlighting color changes. It reverts back to the theme's preset highlighting settings. It just does not save your custom highlighting color settings for some odd reason. More accurately, you can change the color to, say, yellow, cyan, pink, or green which are already listed in the 'highlighting style' drop down menu. However, when you use a true 'custom' color (like RGB 255, 255, 128), it does not save your changes. You will only notice this when you actually run the 'speak' engine after making the change. When I do recheck the highlighting settings again,though the 'highlighting style' appears to be set to 'custom' now, the selected colors shown have reverted back to the theme's default presets. Basically, you cannot override a theme's preset highlighting colors other than those colors already listed in the drop down menu. I hope that makes things clearer.

Ernest S
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for the clarification, I see the problem now. The problem should be fixed in the next update, you'll be able to use custom highlighting settings with a theme enabled.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
ernestsera

Post by ernestsera »

Thanks! That's good to know.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The highlighting problem should be fixed now in Beta 35. See announcement post for Beta 35 in this forum for details and download link for this version of the beta.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com