Weird scenes inside the gold mine.

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jessica2

Weird scenes inside the gold mine.

Post by Jessica2 »

Update for all, not an issue: just an observation using version 4. Beta (0.44).
- And also a request at the bottom.

Begin:
- Browser irregularities, but not really.

Tested with Fire-Fox 57.0.3 (Quantum).
Chrome Version 63.0.3239.108, (Official Build):(64-bit).
And - Explorer 11.125 16299.0.

I'm working on web pages, that's both Inside and out, which means: what the web page is made of on the outside.
- And what the web page is made (up) of on the inside, basically working with the raw text of the HTML page.

WordPress CMS being used.

In Fire-Fox: the Icon at the top, and the drop-down menu says, 'Speak Highlighted Text, Speak from Cursor page, and Speak Entire Page.' And all of them are ( Blacked Up ) and ready.
In Chrome and Explorer, the top two say: 'Speak Highlighted and Speak from Cursor,' but they are greyed out.

Right click, and highlight a word, any word, (that's both on the out side of a Web Page, and / or: the inside, working on the editor), the greyed out sections are now ( Blacked Up ) in the blue Icon: select [ Speak from Cursor ], and TextAloud begins to read the entire page, but from that (selected) point on, and it reads all of it back to you.

You can also access the function via a Mouse left click popup:simply goto TextAloud (Broswer-Whatever)->select [Speak From Cursor] and then press the left button, and again all of the page is read back to you.

- And this rather neat trick: WORKS ON ALL OF THEM.

I'm using this function to Proofread my pages: I will be using TextAloud to Proofread my books in Word 2003, just as soon as I can transfer all of my Pronunciations from ClaroRead: and that is *not* easy. I just cannot Import the XML file from ClaroRead, the file format is completely different.

Request Begins.

I have (Hot Keys) set up to [ Stop Speaking ] globally, all good, but [ Read From Cursor ] really needs to be included in (Hot Key) options to make the program work seamlessly from the Keyboard.
- When I'm working, I don't like to take my hands off of the thing, and as soon as I reach for the mouse, then I've lost the plot: literally.

Also: the Pronunciation Editor needs to be more accessible, it takes far too long to get to the thing..
Perhaps including that as a (Hot Key) as well? - But I have a feeling that that won't happen, because I also think that it's merely a child window within TextAloud itself.

Sooooooo! - Perhaps a separate database program, to actually edit the ( Dictionary.chl ) - would be a good move, to actually work on the *.chl file that's held in 'C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\NextUp\TextAloud4\Dictionaries.'

Just a request, nothing's really wrong with TextAloud: it's very good, but can be improved: cosmetically.

RGDS - Jessica.
I write, therefore: you are.
Jim Bretti

Re: Weird scenes inside the gold mine.

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Jessica

Just letting you know we added a hotkey to launch pronunciation dictionary maintenance in Beta 45. You can download an installer from http://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe.

Also let me know if you're still having trouble importing pronunciations. If you can send me a sample file I'll take a look and see if I can help, just mail it to me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jessica2

Re: Weird scenes inside the gold mine.

Post by Jessica2 »

Hi Jim,

Yup! - Found it in 45, and it's a brilliant upgrade.

This beta is becoming more stable with every release, and I'm really lovin' using the program for proofreading my work.

Hot Key global command to (Stop Reading), combined with the Browser-side assigned keys for (Read from Cursor), means that I don't have to take my hands off of the keyboard when I'm in (the Zone). I can't praise this TxtToSpeech high enough.

Many thanks for your rapid response, and a sample of the claroread xml file is on its way.

RGDS - Jessica.
I write, therefore: you are.