Multiple pronunciations

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Regie

Multiple pronunciations

Post by Regie »

I really like TextAloud for the dictionary and it's replacing pronunciation of words as you have them in the dictionary.

However, some words, such as read, live and record, can have different pronunciations in a document. With Balabolka, I could set up both pronunciations by separating them with a comma and then when I would search the document for homograms I would have a choice of which pronunciation I wanted.

Is there a way to do that with TextAloud? If not, perhaps TextAloud could add a feature such that a dictionary could have this option and do a homogram search only for words with more than one pronunciation (or make a pause when a person listens to their document before submitting it to audio) or, does it already have a feature that I have not yet discovered wherein his can be done already?

Thanks for any help.

Regie
Jim Bretti

Re: Multiple pronunciations

Post by Jim Bretti »

We don't support it now, but we plan to add a feature like this in a future update.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Regie

Post by Regie »

Thanks much.

I have been working on a solution and have been experimenting with Balabolka wherein I intend to remove all homograms from it except the words with more than one pronunciation. I plan to use that before I bring the article into TextAloud and thereby have all the multiple pronouncing words corrected before I start reading it with TextAloud. With that method, I can have the word "read" as either "reed" or "red" before TextAloud does it's work.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Regie
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sounds like that should work. Hopefully we'll be able to get something like this added to TextAloud soon
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Regie

Post by Regie »

TextAloud is great as it is, with the fact that you can leave the text as it is and TextAloud does the pronunciation as in the dictionary.

When you do add this new feature, maybe the reading could just come to a halt until you choose the right pronunciation, and then move on. Another option perhaps might be that the article would be scanned first and changes made before beginning the reading of the article.

Anyway, TextAloud is an excellent program IMO as it already is. There is nothing better than making what is good even better though. :)

Thanks,
Regie