Voice Changes

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Charlie60

Voice Changes

Post by Charlie60 »

I'm using TextAloud v.4.0.4 and having issues with the automatic voice changer under Control Center/Speaking Rules/Voice Changes. I want the voice to change for double quotes. The first time TextAloud reaches a double quote it changes the voice as required. However, on the next change, it keeps the second voice even after the double quotes end and doesn't return to the default voice. Am I doing something wrong?

Here is part of the text I am using:
From: Lauren Tarshis - - I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912

George didn’t mean to get into trouble.
It’s just that he got these great ideas.
Like on their first day at sea, when he had climbed up the huge ladder into the crow’s nest.
“Aunt Daisy!” he’d yelled, waving his arms.
She had looked up. And she’d almost fainted.
And yesterday George had explored the entire ship. Aunt Daisy kept warning him that he’d get lost. She said the ship was like a maze. But George could always find his way. Even in the huge forest that stretched out behind their farm. Mama used to say that George had a map of the world behind his eyes.
He saw the engine rooms and the boiler rooms, and wound up on the third-class recreation deck. He was watching some boys play marbles when he noticed that he wasn’t alone. A little boy was staring up at him with huge eyes the color of amber glass.
“See,” the boy said. “See.”
And he held out a postcard of the Statue of Liberty. He looked so proud, like he’d carved that big lady himself. George felt like he had to show something in return, so he took out his good-luck charm, the bowie knife Papa had given him for his ninth birthday. He let the little boy run his fingers across the handle, which was carved from an elk’s antler.
“Enzo,” the little boy said, puffing out his chest and pointing to himself.
“George,” said George.
“Giorgio!” the little boy cried with a smile.
A man sitting near them laughed. He was reading an Italian-English dictionary and had the same huge eyes as the boy. George guessed right that he was Enzo’s father.
“Marco,” he said, shaking George’s hand. “You are our first American friend.”
Jim Bretti

Re: Voice Changes

Post by Jim Bretti »

Are you seeing the problem on this line:

“See,” the boy said. “See.”

I'm able to duplicate the problem here, the default voice is not restored after the second occurrence of the word "See." I think I know what the problem is and should have a fix available soon.

Let me know if that is not the problem.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Charlie60

Post by Charlie60 »

Thanks for your note. Yes, that is the problem. Perhaps a software issue as it doesn't make any different what voices I use.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Yes, it is a bug. I'll try to have an update to fix it in the next day or so. I'll post here when update is ready to download.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Charlie60

Post by Charlie60 »

Many thanks.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The fix for this problem is ready to try. The problem should be fixed in version 4.0.5, you can download from https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe. Please give it a try when you have a chance and let me know if you continue seeing problems.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Charlie60

Post by Charlie60 »

Thanks Jim. Just downloaded the latest version. It seems to have fixed the problem, but still yet to test it fully. Great service!