What happened to the Text-Aloun - Thunderbird add-in?

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

SeaCay

What happened to the Text-Aloun - Thunderbird add-in?

Post by SeaCay »

Hello All,

I've just done a search for Thunderbird in the forum and earliest mention of a Text-Aloud add-in was 2011 but it could go back earlier than that.

I've updated to V4 and looked for the Text-Aloud - Thunderbird add-in but it doesn't seem to be there.
Speaking personally, I would sincerely prefer a Thunderbird add-in to a new user interface.

I enjoy using Text-Aloud in MS Office, particularly MS Outlook and am really, really keen to see a similar feature in Thunderbird.

Please can you advise when the Thunderbird add-in will be made available to the Text-Aloud user base?

regards and thanks

SeaCay
Jim Bretti

Re: What happened to the Text-Aloun - Thunderbird add-in?

Post by Jim Bretti »

We actually never got around to writing an add-in for Thunderbird. There are no immediate plans for it but I'll make sure it stays on our the to-do list.

The best workarounds I know of now are to use system wide hotkeys for speaking selected text in Thunderbird, or to try the new Floating Toolbar, under the Control Center menu. For now the floating toolbar behaves a lot like a TextAloud hotkey, but we plan to add more functionality the floating toolbar later.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com