TA v. 4.0.17 Cannot open MS Word File

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Charlie60

TA v. 4.0.17 Cannot open MS Word File

Post by Charlie60 »

I am trying to open multiple or single MS Word documents in TA v. 4.0.17 on a Windows 8.1 computer. When I go to the Open button on the TA program to open a MS Word document, I get the following message, "You are not allowed to edit this selection because it is protected." I'm not trying to edit anything - just open the Word document in TA. However, using the Open button I can open *.txt files. Any reason?
Jim Bretti

Re: TA v. 4.0.17 Cannot open MS Word File

Post by Jim Bretti »

I think this may be related to a recent update. I'll look into into it and if the problem is what I think it is, I'll post an updated version of TextAloud.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I just placed an updated version of TextAloud at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe, the problem should be fixed in this update. Please give it a try when you can and let me know if you continue having the problem.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Charlie60

Post by Charlie60 »

I tried the new version at the link you provided. No, it doesn't fix the problem. I still get the same message when I try of open a MS Word file. But I can still copy and paste a file from Word.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Just double checking, if you click Help -> About in the TextAloud main window, is the version displayed 4.0 17.2 ? In not try reinstalling using the installer at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe.

If you're running 4.0.17.2, open the document in Word and click the Review tab. On that tab click the Protect button, then click Restrict Editing. On the restrict editing panel, do you see the text that the document is protected from unintentional editing? I tested the update using settings on that panel, I'm wondering if I missed something else.

If you're able to share the document it might help if I could see it and give it try myself. If you can recreate this problem with a document you can send me, please mail it to me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com