text aloud 4.0.19 speaking extremely slow

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

dunkmyster

text aloud 4.0.19 speaking extremely slow

Post by dunkmyster »

I have a surface pro (4 I think) with windows 10. I updated to textaloud version 4.0.19, and now the speech is extremely slow. I tried different voices, different articles, and made sure the speed is around 0. I uninstalled text aloud, updated Windows, reinstalled text aloud, and it is still doing the same thing. I updated text aloud to 4.0.19 on my MacBook Pro running Parallels windows 10, and it works fine as usual. Any ideas? At this point I don't know what else to do except format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch, and would like to avoid that.
Jim Bretti

Re: text aloud 4.0.19 speaking extremely slow

Post by Jim Bretti »

Don't know offhand what the problem could be. Here is something that may help. Duplicate the problem, with a small article if possible ... just a sentence or two. Then display TextAloud Settings, and in the left panel, select Advanced Settings. At the bottom of the Advanced Settings panel, set the option "Use Verbose Logging" to Yes. Then duplicate the problem with verbose logging turn on. After speaking finishes, click Help -> About from the main window and submit a TextAloud problem report. Just make a brief reference to this issue in the problem report text.

The logs should display exactly what we're sending to the voice engine and may have some clues as to what the problem is.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
dunkmyster

Post by dunkmyster »

After upgrading to 4.0.19 on another computer and having the same problem, I found out the automatic pause between the words in a sentence was checked. After unchecking it textaloud now speaks fine on both computers. I don't know why upgrading to the most recent version started the problem on both computers, but at least it works now without me having to format and reinstall Windows from scratch.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for letting me know about this. I haven't seen the problem myself on upgrades, but I'll add some checks to make sure we don't port that pause setting incorrectly.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com