Waterfox extension

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

SomeGuy123

Waterfox extension

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Waterfox is an alternative to Firefox, based on a version before Firefox Quantum which disabled all legacy add-ons. It's a very popular browser that keeps growing rapidly. It probably has hundreds of thousands of users, if not millions. 5 million downloads two years ago. In short a lot of Firefox users migrated to Waterfox, including myself.

So my request is can you please make Textaloud 3 and 4 work in Waterfox? It's basically the old Firefox so shouldn't be hard at all I guess.
Jim Bretti

Re: Waterfox extension

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for the feedback, we'll take a look at it. If the browser is similar to Firefox, there's a chance you may be able to install the TextAloud extension manually. If Waterfox will let you install .xpi files, the TextAloud extension is named TAForFirefox.xpi, you'll find the xpi file in your TextAloud 3 / TextAloud 4 install directory.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Thanks, there was no .xpi file but there was a folder with the contents of the .xpi which i put in an .xpi file and installed in Waterfox. Worked like a charm, thanks.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Glad to hear that worked. Just a note that in current versions of TextAloud we distribute packed versions of the extension (.xpi files), so if you install an update you may need to reinstall from the .xpi
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

A strange problem I'm having with Waterfox and the Firefox extension: When I put a shortcut in textaloud option to read from cursor, and then use that shortcut the waterfox Browser console pops up with a bunch of errors. This only happens the first time after I start waterfox. If I close the browser console and press the shortcut again on another text it won't pop up. How can I get rid of this?
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I'm not sure we'll be able to help with this, but next time you see the problem happen, go to the TextAloud main window and submit a problem report. From the main menu click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem, and just reference this issue in the problem report text.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Okay, just did. Hopefully you'll find the problem.
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Okay I gave up on waterfox and installed the newest version of Firefox. Then installed TA3. The same issue happens here. I had no other add-ons installed in firefox but Textaloud. I hit the shortcut for speaking from cursor, and once again the browser console popped up with three error lines.

Here are the error lines:

Code: Select all

Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift” id=“key_browserToolbox” browser.xul
alert() is not supported in background windows; please use console.log instead. background.js:546:13
Unmatched request of '[object Object]' from script to background.js from [object Object] background.js:546:13
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I have an idea of what could be causing this problem. I just placed a TextAloud update, version 4.0.28, at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe. Would you try installing this update and see if it helps?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Well I installed it, but I had tried Textaloud 4 some time ago and decided to go back to Textaloud 3. I haven't bought TA4 so the trial time is over it says, thus I cannot test it.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I just uploaded a new TA3 installer containing the updated version of the extension. You can download the updated TA3 installer at http://nextup.com/files/ta3.exe.

The new TA3 version is 3.0.118.1, the new firefox extension is version 4.0.8
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
SomeGuy123

Post by SomeGuy123 »

Thank you very much, it worked!

Although this issue 90% of the time happened only the first time I used the shortcut after starting Firefox. But sometimes it happened again during a running Firefox/Waterfox session after some time had passed between the shortcut presses. Anyway hopefully this fix fixed it forever and not just for the first time.

Again thanks.