Set focus = TextAloud after using Read TextAloud hotkey

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

andrewpinney

Set focus = TextAloud after using Read TextAloud hotkey

Post by andrewpinney »

I regularly use the Read TextAloud hotkey to copy text into the TextAloud UI. But I would like that hotkey to also set focus to the TextAloud window, so I don't have to go and find it after pressing the Read TextAloud hotkey. I thought I had that set up in TextAloud 3, but can't seem to recreate the same behaviour in TextAloud 4.

Any suggestions-many thanks.
Jim Bretti

Re: Set focus = TextAloud after using Read TextAloud hotkey

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Andrew

Are you using a TextAloud hotkey to import articles into TextAloud? If so you can bring TextAloud to the foreground and set focus using an option in TextAloud Settings. Display the Settings dialog, and in the left, select Article Options. Look for 'When articles are added' around the middle of the panel, and select the checkbox 'Bring TextAloud Window to Foreground'.

Is that what you're looking for?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
andrewpinney

Post by andrewpinney »

Thanks for the reply.

Typically I'm using the hotkey "Import Text", to listen to text that cannot be read in the native application. While that hotkey does do the job of importing, and I have selected "When articles are added >Bring TextAloud Window to foreground", this is not happening. TextAloud reads, but from a window in the background. It might be of use to know that I'm using multiple screens.
Janek

Post by Janek »

It works for me as Jim described above.
andrewpinney

Post by andrewpinney »

Now working for me as well. Many thanks.
andrewpinney

Post by andrewpinney »

I still have an issue with the set focus to the TextAloud app after using a hotkey combination to import text to TextAloud 4. Article Options are set for 'Bring TextAloud Window to Foreground'. So I have to go and click to actually see the text highlighting wild been read in the TextAloud app. It's been like this for ages, but I just got a little bit fed up with it today hence this report.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Andrew,

Its strange that I'm not able to duplicate this. I just placed a TextAloud update, version 4.0.38.1 at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe. The update includes a change to the area of code that is supposed to be forcing the ta window to the foreground. It is possible this code change may make a difference.

Here is how I'm testing:
On TextAloud Settings -> Article Options panel, I have the checkboxes "Speak New Articles Automatically" and "Bring TextAloud Window to Foreground" selected.
Then, I have an "Import Text" hotkey defined in TextAloud Settings -> Hotkey Setup. The hotkey is configured to create new articles for imported text.

Please give the update a try when you can and let me know what happens.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com