Unable to see all the MS voices in TextAloud 4

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

tringate

Unable to see all the MS voices in TextAloud 4

Post by tringate »

I installed the trial version of TextAloud 4 and have run into a problem.

I have all the MS English voices installed on my computer running Windows 10. Windows is up to date with updates.

TextAloud only shows the following voices installed.
ATT Crystal16
ATT Mike16
Microsoft David
Microsoft Hazel
Microsoft Zira
Kate16 <-- NeoSpeech
Paul16 <-- NeoSpeech
My old TS version 2 shows the same installed with the exception of Microsoft Hazel which is missing. I have no idea why that is. Not really concerned about it as I want to get on TS 4. I would like to use all the installed voices if it is possible.

What is actually installed for Microsoft voices is:
David
George
Linda
Hazel
Susan
Heera
Catherine
Zira
Richard
Ravi
James
Mark
Sean
These are all the current English Microsoft voices in Windows 10. They all work just fine within windows.
I thought TextAloud would show all valid voices that are installed.
I assume these are all SAPI5 as I think that is what MS has.

I have MS Mark selected as the text-to-speech voice in windows 10. When I test the voices to set the default in MS they all work just fine and identify them self as the correct vice.

Have I done something wrong?

I have TA 4 installed on drive D: and TS 2 is still installed on drive C:. Both appear to run fine.
Tom
Jim Bretti

Re: Unable to see all the MS voices in TextAloud 4

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Tom,

I think the FAQ post at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8498&p=20436#p20436 should help with your question. Let me know if it doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
tringate

Post by tringate »

Jim is right. In windows 10 1803 spring update it appears the names of the voices in some places do indicate "desktop". I have not found any place where they were called "mobile".
I installed all of the Microsoft voices and found I did pick up a few additional voices.

I think Desktop is = to SAPI5. Mobile apparently is what all new voices are, and will be in the future.

Here is the list of voices I now see in TextAloud.

Microsoft David Desktop
Microsoft Elsa Desktop (Italian)
Microsoft Hazel Desktop (UK English )
Microsoft Hedda Desktop (German)
Microsoft Hortense Desktop (French)
Microsoft Huihui Desktop (Microsoft [PRC])
Microsoft Tracy Desktop (Chinese[Hong Knog])
Microsoft Zira Desktop

These will all speak in TextAloud with the foreign accent. You do need to make sure you set your region and Languages to the same country of the language you want spoken.

Windows had another male voice "Mark" that is part of the standard USA voices but apparently it is one of the mobile voices as it does not show up. That happens to be the voice I use as my default voice in Windows as I find it the most natural of them.

After installing all of the voices, I ended up with 28 voices in Windows 10, but only these 8 are SAPI5 I guess.

Most sound like what you would expect someone who's first language was of the country the voice is for would sound like speaking English.
Tom
Maz

Post by Maz »

Hi
The same problem.
I am using win 7 and TextAloud v 3.0.79. I have some old and new voices, therefore I use version 3, which shows Microsoft Anna, but not MS Hazel or other vocies of Microsoft Speech Platform – Runtime Language (Version 11). They work fine on Balabolka.
Thanks
Maz
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

TextAloud currently supports Sapi5 only, we do not currently support Microsoft Speech Platform or Windows Mobile. We may support these other speech api's in future updates.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com