Speech Emphasis

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Scallywag

Speech Emphasis

Post by Scallywag »

https://pasteboard.co/LbyRjoIcdfwo.png

Some voices have emphasis built in but the new ones do not so I had the bright idea of using phonemes of making this possible, the problem I have is that by doing this there is no pause after finishing the word even though it is meant to me a exclamation mark or question mark. Is there anyway I can get around this?
Jim Bretti

Re: Speech Emphasis

Post by Jim Bretti »

There should be a silence phoneme you can use, it should be an underscore. Does that work?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
sulu99

Post by sulu99 »

Sorry for replying to something from 2003. But, my Text Aloud 4 keeps saying "underscore" every time it sees an underscore. How would I fix this?

-sulu
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Do you just want to prevent the underscore character from being spoken? If so here is something that should help. From the TextAloud menu click Control Center -> Settings, and in the left panel of the Settings dialog, expand the item "Speaking Rules". Under Speaking Rules, select "Text Filters". At the bottom of the Text Filters page, there is an option to filter characters from the text as it is being spoken. Just update this list of characters to include the underscore character. Note that this list of characters does not use a delimiter character, just place any characters you want filtered in the field.

Let me know if this doesn't help or if your question is related to speech emphasis
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com