How to turn off Automatic corrections

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

tessture

How to turn off Automatic corrections

Post by tessture »

TextAloud has been changing the word "sun" to Sunday, and the name Phil to Philosophy, and other such unwanted corrections. I can't find in the forums or the manual how to disable this. I'm hoping someone has ideas?
Jim Bretti

Re: How to turn off Automatic corrections

Post by Jim Bretti »

Do you mean that when you listen to text spoken, the word "sun" is spoken as "Sunday" ? If that's what you mean, this 'autocorrection' is not happening in TextAloud, we see this happen in voices themselves. If you let me know which voices you're using I may be able to help with some workarounds.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
tessture

Post by tessture »

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm using Microsoft David.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

I haven't been able to duplicate this problem with Microsoft David. I tried on Windows 10, using various sentences containing the words "sun" and "Phil". Can you let me know what version of Windows you're using? Also it would help if you could give me a few sample sentences to try ... the problem may be related to punctuation or the way words are arranged in a sentence.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
tessture

Post by tessture »

It mostly seems to happen at the end of a line, but now that I'm trying to produce it on purpose, it won't always do it. "I'd really like to know what you saw, Phil." Rendered the first time as "I'd really like to know what you saw, PHilosophy." And I had "wallked out into the sun." and it came out in audio as "walked out into the Sunday." in another section, Phil was fine, as was sun. I'm on Windows 10. Thanks for trying to solve this with me!
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks, that helps. I was able to duplicate with these two sentences:
"I'd really like to know what you saw, Phil."
"I walked out into the Sun."

So far it seems the problem happens when a word begins with an upper case character, ends with a period and is followed by a double quote character. The problem goes away if I remove the double quotes or convert Phil and Sun to all lower case. There may be more to it, but that is what I'm seeing so far.

One thing you might try is adding a speaking rule to filter double quote characters. Click the Settings button to display TextAloud Settings and in the left pane expand the entry "Speaking Rules". Under Speaking Rules, select "Text Filters". At the bottom of the Text Filters panel, there is a rule with the caption "Filter characters in this list". Just enter a double quote character in that field, and select the checkbox to enable the rule.

If that doesn't work we could also try adding a pronunciation dictionary entry to convert upper case characters at the start of a word to lower case.

Give that a try and let me know what happens.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
tessture

Post by tessture »

thanks! I'll give that a go and let you know.
Appreciate your help
Teresa