Toolbar/extension for Chrome not working

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

appletreezria

Toolbar/extension for Chrome not working

Post by appletreezria »

I have the toolbar/extension for chrome, but it's not connecting to the program. Regardless of whether I have the program on or not.

Now... I've tried removing both the extension and textaloud, and reinstalled them to no avail. I've even disabled all my extension as well in case one of them was blocking it. Also when clicking okay, it does not take me to said link...and now the extension isn't in google chrome store, unless I do a google search for it.

Someone please tell me if this is still even being worked on.
RichardS

Re: Toolbar/extension for Chrome not working

Post by RichardS »

I'm having the same or similar problem. I just installed TextAloud 4 and accidentally told Chrome not to allow the Text Aloud Extension. Now I can't find the Text Aloud extension in the Chrome Extensions list at all. I've tried re-installing Text Aloud, but it won't show up in Chrome now. Does anyone know if the extension isn't working because I didn't give Chrome permission to install it, or is the extension just not working, period?
Jim Bretti

Re: Toolbar/extension for Chrome not working

Post by Jim Bretti »

I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. First, do a quick check to see if the problem is possibly related to the page displayed in the browser. You can try visiting http://nextup.com, and see if the extension works there as a test.

If the problem is not related to specific web pages, it is possible that manually removing the chrome extension and reinstalling may help. Please follow these steps:

1. Download the zip at http://nextup.com/support/TAToolbarUtility.zip.

2. Unzip the contents, TAToolbarUtility.exe. This is a utility to remove and reinstall TextAloud toolbars / extensions.

3. Right click the file TAToolbarUtility.exe and in the menu displayed, click Properties. On the General tab of the Properties dialog, unblock the executable (use the checkbox at the bottom of the tab).

4. Exit all Chrome windows if Chrome is running.

5. Double click the TAToolbarUtility icon to run the program.

6. Select the radio button "TextAloud Extension for Chrome", and click the Remove button. You should see a confirmation message indicating the extension was removed.

7. Start Chrome. We just want Chrome to initialize without the TextAloud extension installed.

8. Exit Chrome.

9. Back on the TAToolbarUtility, make sure the TextAloud Extension for Chrome radio button is selected, and click the Add button. You should see another confirmation message the the extension was added successfully.

At this point try starting Chrome again and see if the error message is still being displayed. Let me know what happens
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com