Skipping citations text and footnotes

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

MisterGables

Skipping citations text and footnotes

Post by MisterGables »

Hello,

I am brand new to TextAloud 4 and so far I think it's fantastic. I found the software because I was looking for a text-to-speech program that will allow me to skip over citations and footnotes, as I intend to use the software primarily for listening to scholarly articles and publications. I saw a forum post from 2015( viewtopic.php?t=6851 ), showing how this might be done.

I was just wondering if this is still currently the best way to accomplish skipping citation text or if a new way has been developed over the past 5 years?

Thank you!
Jim Bretti

Re: Skipping citations text and footnotes

Post by Jim Bretti »

We tried to make It is easier to handle this problem in TextAloud 4. In TextAloud 4 there is a section in settings called Speaking Rules where you can configure options like this without needing to create pronunciation dictionary entries.

From the main menu click Control Center -> Settings, and in the left panel, expand the entry named "Speaking Rules". Under Speaking Rules, select "Text Filters", and you'll see checkboxes that allow you to filter text in square brackets, parentheses, etc.

Let me know if this doesn't help or if you run into any problems with using speaking rules.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com