Using TextAloud as a soundboard

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Allrianne

Using TextAloud as a soundboard

Post by Allrianne »

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, and I apologize if it isn't.
I'm trying to use any TTS programs to work as a soundboard for other application (voice chat; Discord, TeamSpeak, Skype,etc). I'm still not clear what is the output of this program, does it play the sound out-loud? or it makes an audio file with the text you write? Have anyone tried this before? I wanna know if it is possible or not before I buy the application :D

The reason I'm looking for a TTS for 'voice chat' applications is I'm mute and I'm trying to converse with my friends using TTS; so ideally I want the program to play sound as I type the text.

Thanks a lot!
Jim Bretti

Re: Using TextAloud as a soundboard

Post by Jim Bretti »

You may be able to use TextAloud for this, you may need to try it out and see how it works. There is a 20 day trial available, so you can try it without purchasing the app.

You can use TextAloud to speak text aloud, or create audio files from text. In your case you would type text into a display area and click a speak button on the toolbar to speak the text aloud.

I can think of two issues that could be problems for you. First, TextAloud is primarily a document reader. The idea is to import 'articles' from multiple sources, like the clipboard, document files, etc. You speak the article text and delete / archive articles when finished. Using TextAloud to carry on a conversation may or may not work well.

The other thing you'd want to be able to to is configure your chat application to use the a sound device as the microphone. I think you can do this in skype, but its worth checking. You want to be able to set up the microphone to pull audio from the sound device as TextAloud is sending audio to it.

If you download a trial version let me know how it goes or if you have questions.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com