Problem With Changing Voice For Quoted Lines

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

fixmyproblem

Problem With Changing Voice For Quoted Lines

Post by fixmyproblem »

I just recently bought the new deep learning text to speech voices from cerence. They are absolutely amazing and I'm very excited to finally have such a great product to be able to use alongside with textaloud and have it available offline without an internet connection.

With that being said, I've been trying to listen to stories that have quotations used to depict when someone else is speaking other than the narrator. When I use the option to change the speaker for any text that appears in between quotation marks the text to speech voices from cerence will unfortunately say DOUBLE QUOTE at the end of each and every quoted line. It gets very annoying and it makes it impossible to actually listen to a story with this feature enabled. How can I fix this?
Jim Bretti

Re: Problem With Changing Voice For Quoted Lines

Post by Jim Bretti »

I'm not able to duplicate this problem myself. Would you please post a sample paragraph of text where you're seeing the problem, and also let me know which cerence voice you're using to speak the text in quotation marks?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
fixmyproblem

Post by fixmyproblem »

Code: Select all

{{Voice=Cerence Malcolm22 (UK English)}}"And? Is it any good?" {{/voice}}Dean asked.

{{Voice=Cerence Malcolm22 (UK English)}}"Do you suppose that I've read it?"{{/voice}} 
The first line causes the issue, while the second line does not.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for posting the sample, I think I see what the problem is. I think the problem has to do with the speaking rule to add end of sentence pauses, the voice is sensitive to the way TextAloud is placing the pause, causing the double quote character to be pronounced.

I just placed an updated version of TextAloud, version 4.0.51.3 at https://nextup.com/files/ta4.exe that should fix the problem.

Let me know if this doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
fixmyproblem

Post by fixmyproblem »

That fixed it, thanks!