Dictionary

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Andrew

Dictionary

Post by Andrew »

Years ago I created a dictionary with substitution words, regex statements and more. It was a lot of work. I lost the whole thing because I assumed TA was saving it to its own user file application folder. So that's what I was backing up. After a disc crashed I learned TA does not store it there.

Now I want to try again, but it's hard for me to concentrate these days (health problems). Plus II don't remember where anything is. So my first question is, how do I get to t he interface to do this. The help file says I'm supposed to find this under the FILE menu but it's not there.
Quantum

Re: Dictionary

Post by Quantum »

In TA4 click 'help' then click 'open data folder'
I backup the 'Dictionaries' folder .... hope this helps!
Quantum aka DaveH
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I'm not sure what you are telling me.

One problem I had is my hard disk crashed years ago. Are you saying that is where TextAloud would have kept the dictionary. I have archival backups, so if that's the default location for dictionaries, please tell mw how to spot it.

Second problem is I can no longer find my way around software like I could when I was healthy. I have a regex statement someone gave me that will
tell TA what not to say. Please tell me which menu items I need to push to get to the place were I can enter this. I used this quite a lot long ago, ,but now I can't figure out where it is.
Quantum

Post by Quantum »

When I open TextAloud version 4, at the top I see :
File Edit View Insert tags Speak Voice Navigation Control Center Help

Clicking on Help with the mouse opens the following menu:
open data folder
open audio output directory
support
check for updates

Now clicking on 'open data folder' opens the folder where the pronunciations are stored on your hard disk:
' AppData > Local > Nextup > TextAloud4'

Within this folder is a 'Dictionaries' folder which stores all of the pronunciations.

Hopefully a copy is in your archival backups and you can replace your current 'Dictionaries 'folder with the backed up version.

To enter new pronunciations I click on the Dictionary symbol at the top of the TextAloud interface which opens the 'Dictionaries' folder where you enter your pronunciations.

Good luck!
Quantum aka DaveH
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You saved the day, Quantum. I had to go back 10 years to find it. Took me awhile. But today I got it and imported it. Thanks for your clear explanation.