New User frustrated with the pronunciation dictionary option

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

OLINEA

New User frustrated with the pronunciation dictionary option

Post by OLINEA »

I am a new user of Text Aloud, but I have experience in working with other Text-To-Speech programs. In other TTS programs, the pronunciation dictionary is fairly simplistic, but the pronunciation is changed after I enter it in. However, with Text Aloud, I have no idea why a particular Dictionary won't work (in this case, Acapela Graham). I have 13-14 voices, and when I have the voice set to that particular voice in the toolbar area of the article, it reads my new pronunciations that I have made for that voice correctly; however, when I insert a voice tag into the article (for example, <voice required="name = Audrey16"> ........ <voice required="name = Graham22k"> ....) the pronunciation dictionary I have for Acapela Graham is not accessed at all; it will only access it if I go above and change the default voice setting to Acapela Graham. I am very new, so this is my first problem I've come across regarding this issue, and I don't know how other voices are affected (so far, I've only noticed the Graham voice having this peculiarity) . Acapela voices have been giving me lots of problems in general, but I don't think it's limited to just these voices. Also, Graham is a British Voice, and I am unsure if that is an added hurdle to what I am trying to accomplish.

To sum up, my problem is this: I want to change the voice within an article to Acapela Graham (British), but when I insert the Graham voice tag in the article <voice required="name = Graham22k">, it does not utilize the dictionary I created for Graham. In creating this dictionary, I went to Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance under "Tools", and selected "New Dictionary". I chose "Acapela Graham" voice when the "New Dictionary" window popped up, named the dictionary, and I have the "Dictionary Enabled" box checked. I edited the words I wanted pronounced differently, and, after creating those, I made sure the box next to the dictionary name was checked, as well as the boxes next to all of the entries. In going back to the article, I noticed the changes were not utilized by the voice until I changed the default voice, as previously mentioned.

My question is, therefore: How can I change pronunciation of words within an article after the Graham voice tag has been entered and those changes are not recognized by the pronunciation dictionary I made for the voice? Thank you for any insight you can give me.
Jim Bretti

Re: New User frustrated with the pronunciation dictionary option

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry about the problem ... currently all pronunciation dictionaries are applied based on the voice assigned to the article. We plan to update the pronunciation dictionary to support voice changes in the text, but it is not something we'll have in the immediate future.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com