Saving pronunciation dictionary

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

muddas

Saving pronunciation dictionary

Post by muddas »

Is there an option for saving your custom pronunciation dictionary so that your rules can be transferred to another computer?
Jim Bretti

Re: Saving pronunciation dictionary

Post by Jim Bretti »

There is not any functionality built into TextAloud to support this directly, but you can do it manually. Each dictionary is saved as a file which can be copied to different machines. To locate the dictionary files, click Help -> Open Data Folder from the TextAloud window, the folder displayed will contain a Dictionaries folder. So all you need to do is copy files in the dictionary folder to the corresponding folder on your other computer.

If you plan to edit the dictionary files on both machines, just make sure the dictionary files are not set to 'read only' after copying to the new machine. Right click each dictionary file, select Properties from the popup menu, and uncheck the read only checkbox if it is checked.

We plan to add Import and Export features in a future version of TextAloud but this should work for now.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
LarryLaser

Post by LarryLaser »

Hello Jim,

When do you plan on Import and Export Dictionaries, and will they be able to Import and Export just parts.

The reason is I test my TextAloud on one of my laptops and my main desktop (which is better).
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry but don't have any date set for this yet. I don't know when we'll get to it, but we do plan to add import / export.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Scrappi Sapi

Post by Scrappi Sapi »

Sorry Jim, I didn't see this before I asked my question. Looks like you were on top of things before I even mentioned it. I should have known!