Pronunciation Dictionary

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

msg_moi

Pronunciation Dictionary

Post by msg_moi »

Hi All

I would like to push my use of TA further, but to do that, i would need to get better at using the pronunciation dictionary.

Is their a tutorial or good help that could give me a good start. I try to play with it but was not successful.

Thank you.
Jim Bretti

Re: Pronunciation Dictionary

Post by Jim Bretti »

The only thing we have now is the TextAloud online help. There are Help buttons on both the Dictionary / Dictionary Entry screens that should give you some idea of the information each window is looking for. We need to organize this better into a tutorial.

The best thing for you to do is look over the online help, then post a few examples of things you'd like to do with the pronunciation editor. Hopefully the replies will help with giving you the start you need. Also feel free to email me at jim@nextup.com if you'd rather do this via email.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
msg_moi

Post by msg_moi »

Thank you Jim
msg_moi

Post by msg_moi »

Ok i have start digging a little bit into this Dictionary..

I have setup a few words,

when i test in the dictionary, they sound OK

But when i try to speak an article, the words are not pronounce correctly.

is there a switch i have to activate to force the voice to look at the dictionary to pronounce word correctly?

The word i have setup use the $ to make sure that if the word is written with a capital or a small letter it should be recognize and pronounce correctly.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

As far as a 'switch', the only thing you should need to do is make sure that both the Dictionary and Dictionary Entries are enabled. But there are also several settings that can cause dictionary entries to be skipped.

First, check the 'Case Sensitive' checkbox and Word Boundary Condition dropdowns for the dictionary entries. Both of these settings can cause dictionary entries to be ignored.

Also, it is possible for pronunciation entries to be ignored if the 'associations' don't match the voice that is speaking. Edit the dictionary and see if you have assigned Language, Dialect, Vendor and / or Voice associations to the dictionary. Any of these settings can also case dictionary entries to be ignored. If the dictionary has been configured to allow association overrides, these associations will need to be configured on individual pronunciation editor entries.

Does that help ?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
msg_moi

Post by msg_moi »

Hi Jim

I check all your requirements

And everything seem like you mention ( is it possible to post/attach picture?)

Only for the vendor/language i cannot see acapla voice , only AT&T voice is register, maybe this is where i have my problem when i test i can specify the voice, but i cannot associate the dictionary to a voice