Quotation mark & en dash "dot" issues [revised]

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

speak2me

Quotation mark & en dash "dot" issues [revised]

Post by speak2me »

[Edited 6:15 p.m.] I've added opening and closing curly-style quotation marks to the Symbols.chl file, and TA3 is now speaking them; however, it is speaking the word "dot" after opening quotation marks. So, for the word "text" [including the quotation marks], I get "open quote dot text close quote".

Furthermore, I thought that this added "dot" issue seemed familiar, so I reviewed previous threads. I found the following post from Nov 15, 2010:

I've discovered that if the text has a number following an en dash, as is usually the case with an en dash, TA is saying the word "point" before the number and then reading the number digit by digit. So, "1995–1998" is spoken "nineteen hundred ninety five en dash point one nine nine eight". FWIW, if I put a space after the en dash (e.g., "1995– 1998"), TA speaks the following number correctly; however, I mention this solely in the event that it helps to diagnose the problem, as en dashes preceding numbers are not followed by a space in actual texts (at least, not those texts that adhere to CMOS).

I've just tested a sample date text like the one shown above with the en dash, and the problem is still there, except that now it is saying "dot" instead of "point".

If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me what; otherwise, I'd appreciate it if someone would confirm that this issue will be fixed.

Thank you.
Jim Bretti

Re: Quotation mark & en dash "dot" issues [revised]

Post by Jim Bretti »

I just placed a minor update at http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe. Please try installing the update and see if it helps with this problem.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
speak2me

Post by speak2me »

Jim,
Thank you very much --- the update does indeed resolve these issues. I really appreciate this, as these kinds of text occur frequently in my editing work.

I would like to also mention that, in the course of testing the update just now, I did discover another issue: year dates that begin with "20" --- e.g., "2011" --- are spoken as if they are a regular number, not a date. So, "2011" is spoken as "two thousand and eleven". Dates beginning with "19", on the other hand, do not do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The year number question has come up a few times, so I added a faq entry at http://www.nextup.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6226. Let me know if that doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
speak2me

Year numbers greater than 2009

Post by speak2me »

Jim,
Your new faq entry resolved the issue. Thanks again!

George