single button/click speak

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

stepfen

single button/click speak

Post by stepfen »

Hello,

I am just trying textAloud and I would like to ask: is it possible to assign a single button/key (even just a mouse click) to the "Speak from cursor" function in firefox/IE?

What I want to do is this: move the cursor where I want and press a single button (or click) to start reading from that point.

The reason for this is because my sister is using a joystick to control the mouse pointer. There are only a few buttons which unfortunately can be assigned only to single keyboard keys (no combination of keys can be assigned).

Thanks a lot in advance
stepfen

Re: single button/click speak

Post by stepfen »

Hello again,

I noticed that in Firefox I can make textaloud read text automatically (without further clicking) just by selecting (keep left mouse button pressed and drug) the text. All I had to do is to adjust the "Clipboard and Mouse Speak Options" accordingly in textaloud.

However, when I select a whole paragraph (triple left click anywhere on the paragraph), textaloud won't read it :(

If only reading of triple-click selections was working... It would be perfect for me...
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

The way the 'mouse speak' function currently works, you need to left click, drag the mouse and release the mouse button in order to capture text. We'll look at adding support for triple clicks in a future version of TextAloud.

Another thing you might do is try setting up a system wide hotkey in TextAloud for speaking selected text. From the TextAloud menu, click Tools -> Hotkey Setup, and create a hotkey to read text aloud. You could then either use the mouse speak function the way it currently works, or use the system wide 'read text aloud' hotkey to handle your triple click selections.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
stepfen

Post by stepfen »

Thanks a lot for your reply Jim,
Another thing you might do is try setting up a system wide hotkey in TextAloud for speaking selected text.
Unfortunately, hotkeys can only be combinations of (two or more) keys. Isn't it so? And that's not convenient to us .

I will be waiting for the triple click feature

Thanks a lot