Read ePub Books in Firefox with TextAloud plug-in

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

ricksd

Read ePub Books in Firefox with TextAloud plug-in

Post by ricksd »

If you install the (free) Lucifox plug-in (Extension) to Firefox, you can read ePub books using TextAloud in the browser. The Lucifox extension allows Firefox to recognize the ePub book format and opens the book in a split screen window with the chapter links on the left and current chapter on the right.

The benefits are:
1. ePub books are usually split up into several chapter files which load TextAloud faster so playback starts without delay on a long book.
2. Clicking the Chapter links will jump to the location you want.
3. You will see images, figures, etc. in the book using Firefox, but don't if you load the ePub in the main TextAloud program.

*Open the ePub file with the "Open With" Firefox option or associate Firefox as the default program for .ePub files.

*You can convert your ePub to Kindle format using Calibre (free). Download it.
*If your ePub is locked with DRM (Digital Rights Management) then it may not work unless the DRM is broken.

This has become my favorite way to read books. And with the ePub format it is portable to Android tablets, phones, iPods, iPads, etc. I use Cool Reader (free) on my android phone which has a text-to-speech feature.