Word not saving

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

cats-eye

Word not saving

Post by cats-eye »

I've had this problem for some weeks, and at first I didn't think it was TextAloud. However, the symptoms are reliably reproduced whenever TA is installed, and stop when uninstalled, so it's pretty conclusive.

It doesn't usually start immediately (upon installation of TA). It can be anything between a few hours or a day.

When I come to save a word document, it stalls mid save and gives a save as box. Trying to save that way (with same or new file name), just keeps producing the same box.

The only way out of this is to manually copy edited text and save as a text file (in notepad), close the Word document, discarding changes. (A massive pain.) Uninstall TA. Reopen Word document, and paste contents of text file back in, reformatting where appropriate, and hopefully retrieving graphics etc from old backups. Or recreating them. Now save.

With TA uninstalled, it saves. Until you uninstall it, closing/opening/editing/saving the document will continue to produce the same error.

I'm still using TA - uninstalling and installing as and when - but a fix for this would be good.
Jim Bretti

Re: Word not saving

Post by Jim Bretti »

We haven't heard of this problem before, it might help to see some debug info from your system when this problem happens. Next time you notice the problem, go to the TextAloud main window and click Help -> Support -> Report A Problem, and reference this issue in the problem report text. If you have any other Word add-ins installed, please indicate those in the problem report as well.

If possible, it would be best to submit the problem report as close as possible to when the save stalls and displays the 'save as' dialog. So if you can, submit the problem report before closing Word and discarding your changes.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
cats-eye

Re: Word not saving

Post by cats-eye »

The "report a problem" has not worked for me in the past, but I'll try that.

I should add that TA is not always running when the problem occurs, but the correlation to the install/uninstall of TA is extremely strong.