New user question

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

wxperson

New user question

Post by wxperson »

I just purchased Textaloud and so far have been pleased. I do have a question however.

I use textaloud to read some meteorological discussions and the pronunciation replacement tool is very helpful... but I am running into a situation that hopefully has an easy solution.

I want terms like 2K and 4K to be pronounced as 2 thousand and 4 thousand. I was able to make a substitution rule for K being the work thousand but now words like "WEEK" are being pronounced as "weethousand" (or something like that).

How would I setup a rule that would leave words like WEEK or TWEEK, etc.. alone but still get the 5K to be pronounced as Five thousand?

Thanks for any help.

George

PS. I have the same issue with MB (millibars) when it is used in a word that happens to end in MB.. i.e. BOMB
Jim Bretti

Re: New user question

Post by Jim Bretti »

You can do this by using a regular expression (pattern match) instead of a simple substitution for the letter K. So the idea would be to set up one pattern to recognize numbers followed by an upper case K, and another pattern to recognize numbers followed by "MB"

For the first pattern, create a pronunciation dictionary entry, and set the Text Matching dropdown to "Regular Expression". For the expression use:

(\d+)K

For Pronounce As, set the dropdown to "Respell" and use this:

$1 thousand

Do basically the same thing for millibars. Use the expression (\d+)MB, and respell as $1 millibars
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com