Highlighting Errors

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Gtarr

Highlighting Errors

Post by Gtarr »

I use Windows 8, Textaloud 3.0.53 (Bridget and Lucie) and Snagit screen capture software to help young ESL students improve reading skills. However, the highlighting function skips over words randomly. Retyping words has no corrective effect. Any suggestions?
Jim Bretti

Re: Highlighting Errors

Post by Jim Bretti »

Do you see the same problems with voices included with Windows 8? Also, if you have any pronunciation dictionaries defined in TextAloud, try disabling the dictionaries temporarily, just to see if that makes a difference.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Gtarr

Post by Gtarr »

My machine is all of a week old and fully updated. The condition replicates itself irrespective of the voice selection (windows 8 or otherwise). However, words that are skipped vary between voices and then randomly as well with the same voice.
Gtarr

Post by Gtarr »

I really am frustrated. A new PC, new application set at default values / without dictionaries, using Microsoft Windows' voices all producing the same error; highlight word skipping. I purchased Textaloud only for the highlighting function. If this can not be resolved, I wish to receive a refund.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Since the skipping seems to be random, and you're seeing the problem with different voices, the problem could possibly be display related. What happens if you load a single paragraph in the article area and read it aloud? If you use a very small article like this, TextAloud won't try to center the current line in the display, which might be interfering somehow.

Also, duplicate the problem and send a problem report from the TextAloud menu (Help -> Support -> Report A Problem). In the problem report text, please include some info about the hardware you're running on (processor, memory, and anything else you may happen to know). Its possible the problem report may have some clues.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com