YANQ

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

IanJ

YANQ

Post by IanJ »

HI all

Yet Another Newbie Question.

Sorry, I'm a complete newbie to TextAloud so please forgive me. Yes, I've browsed the FAQs, etc.

I have to put together a series of files containing single characters, single words and very short phrases required for a grammar presentation for someone.

The word I am having trouble with is 'whose'. What comes out (which doesn't sound as though it's going to be 'whose' anyway) seems to get drastically clipped and ends up as some sort of grunt. I've tried spelling it differently, 'hooz', etc, fiddled with the phoneme editor, and slowing down the speed. Do I need to purchase better voices?

Anyway, all free clues will be gratefully received.

One grateful newbie

Thanks in advance

Ian
Jim Bretti

Re: YANQ

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Ian,

Which Voices are you seeing the problem with?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

Hi Jim

Thanks for your response. I'm playing with the default ones - but they may be different defaults. What originally happened was that I had an ex-girlfriend who downloaded the trial version of TextAloud onto my Vista laptop about five years ago, and it has just sat there ever since. I'm doing this grammar-type work on my desktop but thought I'd use the laptop to generate the vocal bits. So, I paid for the software. I was playing with the default Micro$oft voices - and which I now realise are probably obsolete, but which I thought were installed when I went through the purchase process yesterday. I've just done a download of the TextAloud trial version onto my Windoze 8 desktop machine and I get a different set of voices so I assume the voices come with Windows.

Is my assumption correct? Time for a rethink if it is.

Many thanks

Ian
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thats right, Windows ships with default voices, and TextAloud just uses the Microsoft voice(s) if no other voices are installed. You may have better luck with the Windows 8 voices. I just had TA running on Windows 8, loaded an article containing just the word "whose", and Microsoft David seemed to handle it ok. If you want to try some other voices you can take a look at http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/SpeechE ... oices.html.

If you're still having trouble post some sample text along with which Microsoft voice you're using and hopefully we'll figure something out.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

Many thanks Jim. Is there any way that I can transfer the TextAloud License to my desktop machine? If that's the one with the better voices, I'd better be using that one.

Thanks

Ian
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

Sorry to follow-up to my own post, but just thought I ought to explain - the output needs to be in UK English (which W8 has). I'd buy a decent voice but the whole thing is a freebie job I'm doing for someone and have already spent more than I'm getting back. :)

Ian
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

It is no problem to move your install to a different machine.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
IanJ

Post by IanJ »

Yes, got it now. I saw, when I bought, that I could add to another machine so assumed that there would be a re-registration process of some sort. I now look forward to using the latest M$ 'under water with a bad cold' voices. :)

Many thanks again, Jim.

Ian