TA version 4?

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

blake31

TA version 4?

Post by blake31 »

Does NextUp plan to release a version 4 of TextAloud at some point in the distant future? I don't mind waiting for years because I'm very patient. I am curious though. I would also like to make a request pertaining to version 4 if I may? TextAloud and NextUP's tech support are both fantastic. I can't imagine my life without TA!
:)
blake31

Re: TA version 4?

Post by blake31 »

Due to no response, I choose to post my suggestion for version 4. For me it is important for the current menu-based interface to be available. As a user of both the Jaws screen reader and TA, I find programs with menu-based interfaces to be easiest to navigate. I know that Microsoft has in recent years selected more visual/touchscreen interfaces for Windows and Office. Some users find the menu-based system to be more accessible/convenient.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Sorry for the late reply ...

We do not have a timetable yet, but TextAloud 4 is definitely in the plans. I'll post details when I have more information.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
blake31

Post by blake31 »

Jim, Thank you for replying. Prior to receiving your response, I also sent my suggestion to the support email. I look forward to trying TA4 whenever it is released.
DaveH

Re: TA version 4? - include support for IPA and X-Sampa

Post by DaveH »

Might I suggest adding support for IPA and X-SAMPA in version 4. Several on-line dictionaries give pronunciations in terms of these phonemes which could be very useful for tricky pronunciations. I believe that Ivona already includes this in their reader and it would be a great addition to TA.
Dave UK