Using Word 2003

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Gabbie

Using Word 2003

Post by Gabbie »

Hi - I'm brand new here and I suspect the answer will be in here somewhere so apologies in advance. I have tried to locate the info but...
Currently I am trialing TA on my desktop which uses Vista and Office 2003, before I download onto my laptop which uses Windows 10 and Office Business 2016.

I am legally blind so I do miss things. On my desktop I do have the TA toolbar for Word but nothing happens - no clipboard - no speech etc. I have checked the videos but nothing for Word. Help please.
Gabbie

Re: Using Word 2003

Post by Gabbie »

Me again. I have watched the video but I have no activity from the toolbar at all.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Gabbie

When you install TextAloud, you're prompted for which extensions / add-ons you want to install. If you select the toolbar for Word, the toolbar should be available in Microsoft Word after TextAloud install completes.

If the toolbar is not available in Word, the best thing to do is try reinstalling TextAloud, using the current installer at http://www.nextup.com/files/ta3.exe. When prompted, make sure the option to install the toolbar for Word is selected. If reinstalling doesn't help, try the trouble shooting tips at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6154

Does that help?
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Gabbie

Post by Gabbie »

Thank you for your reply Jim. I have tried to reinstall but it won't let me. TA is not open - I can't uninstall as it won't let me so...

I am working with the Blind Foundation here in NZ. I have a new laptop using Windows 10 and Office 2016. The Foundation are wanting me to use a particular program that is very expensive - it I can be sure TA will work on the laptop then that is the way I would like to go.

At present, on my desktop the TA toolbar is there - but it does nothing. Trying to read tech doc is hard for me (why I need something like TA) so maybe I am not using it right. Can I type directly into Word and have TA speak back to me what I have written. When I try - nothing happens. If I select my typing - nothing happens - the dialogue box says 'highlighting disabled and I can't change it. Sorry to be a pain but it is important to me. I was put off TA once by others opinion, this time I want to be sure for myself. Hope you understand.
Gabbie

Post by Gabbie »

Hello again. After trying the download url for the 3rd time - I have success. Thank you