Read text while typing.

Forum for TextAloud version 3

Moderator: Jim Bretti

ossosso

Read text while typing.

Post by ossosso »

Hi,
my name is Daniele, from Italy.
I'm a stenographer and I'm visually impaired.

For my job I use a steno keyboard (to type fast) and a Screen Reader application to listen what I type.
Please take a look to this short video:
https://youtu.be/wfkwoYMj_B0

I type the first sentence to a slow speed. The screen reader reads for me word by word, exactly the same as if I type with a standard QWERTY keyboard. Even if the Screen Reader speed is high, always there a small pause between each word and the next. Doesn't matter how fast I set Screen Reader to read. The small pause always will be there.

I type the second sentence to a faster speed. As you can listen, the Screen Reader isn't able to follow my speed. Once I've finished, it still is reading, due to the small pause between words.

I used the last sentence for the character "è". When I type it reads "e accento grave", because is accented.

I'd like to find a way to solve this two issues; pause between words (which makes the reading slower and less natural) and avoid reading of accented letters.

These two issues disappear of course when I read a document (not when I type). I mean when I use keyboard arrows to scroll a text. The Screen Reader reads for me line by line in a natural way. All words are "linked" each other and accented letters are not red as "accented".

So my question is; doesn TextAloud can be set to read in realtime while I'm typing? Of course it always will read until the penultimate writte word, but doesn't matter.
I'm thinking to a sort of "Play" button always active, but in the same time I can continue to type.

Thank you very much for your patient to read this logn post.
Please sorry for my english, I hope I was clear enough.

All the best.

Daniele.
Jim Bretti

Re: Read text while typing.

Post by Jim Bretti »

Hi Daniele

We currently do not support this in TextAloud. It is a very good suggestion though, we'll look at supporting in future versions.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com