Speed control button problem in Firefox

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

greentyco

Speed control button problem in Firefox

Post by greentyco »

I'm using Beta 32. When clicked, the speed control button in the Firefox toolbar is nonfunctional. It has a grayed out appearance, and is locked up at zero. Up to about two years ago the speed button worked normally, but has since been locked up and nonfunctional. Is anyone else having this problem? Earlier, I assumed this long-standing problem would be resolved in the version 4 beta development, but it has not. Can anything be done? Thanks for your help
Jim Bretti

Re: Speed control button problem in Firefox

Post by Jim Bretti »

Here is a possible explanation. In the Firefox extension, does the voice happen to be "TextAloud Voice"? If the voice is set to "TextAloud Voice", it means that Firefox is not controlling the voice assigned when text is spoken, the TextAloud application assigns the voice. So Firefox doesn't know what voice is being used. In this case, the speed button dialog behaves exactly like you're describing. We really should display a message when you click the Speed button, indicating that you can't set the voice in this case.

To make the Speed button work, the voice dropdown (in the Firefox extension) has to be set to something other than "TextAloud Voice" ... an actual voice.

We'll try to handle this better in future versions of the extension.

Let me know if this does not explain the problem you're seeing.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com