Toolbar for Chrome ???

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

greentyco

Toolbar for Chrome ???

Post by greentyco »

Is it possible to develop a toolbar for Chrome as an alternative to the current pulldown menu? The toolbar, like in Firefox, is so much easier to use.
Jim Bretti

Re: Toolbar for Chrome ???

Post by Jim Bretti »

Browsers I'm aware of, including Firefox, have moved away from extensions running in full toolbars. Development tools for writing extensions are oriented toward writing 'browser actions', like the current TextAloud extension for Chrome.

Our current Firefox toolbar will no longer be supported in the next Firefox update (Firefox 57). We are currently working on a replacement that will be very similar to our extension for Chrome.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
friendlymentor

Post by friendlymentor »

Is there a way to add keyboard shortcuts to your new "improved" way of handling TextAloud in both Firefox Version 57 and in Chrome? For example, as it stands right now, once a voice starts reading from the cursor it is difficult to get the voice to stop reading without hunting around trying to find where to tell it to STOP!. This could be solved with something that didn't require so much intervention from the user. After all, the people most likely to need TextAloud inside a browser are those who have visual handicaps, and us older people need a user interface that makes sense, not one that is hidden under some mystery meat hamburger menu type collection of chaotic commands. Thanks.

And by the way, I don't mean this to be so critical. I've been using TextAloud off and on since the year 2000. I just am super disappointed that FireFox has decided to make this such an unnecessary challenge. Thank you for developing this wonderful program.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

For the Chrome extension, you can set up keyboard shortcuts for speaking text by entering chrome://extensions in the address bar. At the bottom of the extensions page you'll find a link you can click to configure keyboard shortcuts. On the keyboard shortcuts page, you can set up keyboard shortcuts for the three actions that speak text (speak highlighted text, speak from cursor and speak entire page).

For Stopping, the best thing to do is set up a system wide hotkey in TextAloud for stopping. For the version of TextAloud you're running, go to Hotkey Setup (not shortcut setup). Then configure a system wide hotkey for the stop action. If you start speaking from either Chrome or Firefox and want to stop, you can use the system wide stop hotkey.

We are still researching keyboard shortcuts to initiate speaking in the new firefox extension. It is possible the first version of the new extension may not have key board shortcuts for speak actions.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
adibitar69

Post by adibitar69 »

A couple of features that some of you are looking for (i.e. page rank, xmarks) are offered though apps and extensions that you can download from the Chrome Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home). Search for the feature to see if it is available and add it to Chrome.

If you are looking to sync your bookmarks, apps, extensions, themes, etc. to other Chrome browsers on a different machine, you can enable sync. Click on the Chrome menu ≡ --> Settings--> Sign in --> Advanced sync settings and there you can choose what you'd like to sync)
Refer to Ref[1] to find out more about sync.