Testing updates to add-in for Microsoft Word

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Jim Bretti

Testing updates to add-in for Microsoft Word

Post by Jim Bretti »

There is a an updated version of TextAloud at https://nextup.com/files/ta4new.exe. The update includes an updated version of the add-in for Microsoft word with these new features:

Configurable word highlighting color
Dictionary button on the ribbon to launch TextAloud Pronunciation Dictionary Maintenance
Keyboard shortcut support. The new dialog is available under the TextAloud Options dropdown (the gear button).

On the shortcut support, it works the same as the existing shortcut support for Chrome and Firefox extensions. You can create keyboard shortcuts for Speak, Speak From Cursor and Speak Selected Text. Other button actions - Pause/Resume, Stop, and Dictionary, can be configured as system wide hotkeys in TextAloud Settings.

If you're interested download the update and give it a try. If you run into problems post here or email me at jim@nextup.com
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Accurare

Re: Testing updates to add-in for Microsoft Word

Post by Accurare »

Thank you! Most tremendous! Excellent, it is working beautifully. TextAloud is the top of the mountain!
Accurare

Post by Accurare »

Jim,
There is one suggestion I have, which is not original with me, as you have it implemented in the main TextAloud section.
In the "highlight current" option in the main TextAloud program, there are 4 options:
word, line, sentence, paragraph
The Microsoft Word toolbar only offers 3:
word, sentence, paragraph
As oftentimes sentence length can extend over one or even several lines of text, the highlight line option in Word would be the only thing the TextAloud Word Add-in is lacking.
I do not know if it is a thing that is possible to program, or what difficulty or obstacles there are with adding the highlight current line option.
I can live without it as I am enormously pleased with the work you've accomplished in adding true highlighting capability to the drab grey Word world.
It would be just another example of your company's tremendous approach to resolving challenges posed by your customers. That, and the world itself would be better for it. 8)
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Thanks for the feedback. We'll try to support highlighting by line in future updates of the add-in.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Spundot

Post by Spundot »

I tried this out and have to report that it works great.

I was interested in this beta update of the Word add-in solely for the inclusion of the Dictionary button on the add-on toolbar. That is tremendously useful! Thanks. About the only thing I could suggest to make it better would be to add a right click context "Add to Dictionary" button on the right click menu. My workaround right now is double click a word to highlight it, then click the Dictionary button in the toolbar to add it to the Dictionary. This new version is still much better than having to switch back to TextAloud to add a word. Thanks for the Dictionary button in the Word add-on toolbar!

My new yellow highlighting is a plus too. I like it! As is the Voice Options button, although I rarely use that after setting up my voices. All in all, it's a nice update to the Word add-in and appears to work well. Thanks!