4.0.2's new dictionary

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

Spundot

4.0.2's new dictionary

Post by Spundot »

Oh no no no! 4.0.2's new dictionary omits the ability to assign word/spelling/phonemes to a specific voice. In addition, it reset all my dictionary entries to just ONE voice! If this is in error, please fix this. If this is intentional, please bring back the ability to assign specific voices to specific word/spelling/phoneme entries. Thanks!
Jim Bretti

Re: 4.0.2's new dictionary

Post by Jim Bretti »

You should still be able to do this in version 4. In dictionary maintenance, select a dictionary in the left panel and click "Edit Dictionary". Voice, Language and Voice Vendor associations will appear in the edit dictionary dialog.

There is a checkbox at the bottom of the edit panel (Allow Association Overrides) to assign these associations for individual dictionary entries, but we recommend keeping separate dictionaries, and leave the Allow Association Overrides option unchecked.

Let me know if this doesn't help.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Spundot

Post by Spundot »

Thanks Jim, I found the checkbox and this does work to solve my issue.

Quick question though: if I maintain separate dictionaries and I have one dictionary per voice, TA4 will only use the dictionary I select, right? So if my article uses multiple or random voices, how do the other (separate) dictionaries get used? Or do I have that whole concept wrong? Does TA4 use multiple dictionaries simultaneously? Thanks.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

Voice specific dictionaries currently do not recognize voice change tags in the text. The voice assigned to the article is what determines which dictionaries will be applied. So it really doesn't work like you'd expect, but you can work around to an extent by choosing which voice to assign to an article.

We plan to support this ability in a future version of TextAloud ... voice change tags in the text will be able to trigger which dictionaries are active.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
Spundot

Post by Spundot »

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I look forward to the new feature when it becomes available.
adibitar69

Post by adibitar69 »

Great information!Thank you. When will the next update?