Import TA2 Dictionaries into TA4

Forum for TextAloud version 4

Moderator: Jim Bretti

MostlyDecaf

Import TA2 Dictionaries into TA4

Post by MostlyDecaf »

I have used TextAloud practically since it first went on the market. I finally upgraded from 2.4 to 4.x. I have dictionaries from 2.0 I would like to import.
Is there a conversion from both the old dictionary, and the advanced dictionary?
Jim Bretti

Re: Import TA2 Dictionaries into TA4

Post by Jim Bretti »

Installing TextAloud 4 should have imported your TextAloud 2 dictionaries automatically.

I just placed a standalone utility at https://nextup.s3.amazonaws.com/support/TA2Dict2TA4.zip that you can try. Download the zip, and unzip the utility TA2Dict2TA4.exe. Run the utility, click the browse button to locate your TA2 UserTranslations.chl file, pick a TextAloud 4 dictionary name, and click the Import button. Let me know what happens. There is a log displayed in the utility window, if you see any errors logged let me know what the errors are.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com
MostlyDecaf

Post by MostlyDecaf »

That sucked in the old regular dictionary, but it does not understand the Sapi5DictionaryExport.chl format. So at&t voices can't say passenger, for example. That word comes out as pass ing gurr.
Jim Bretti

Post by Jim Bretti »

We currently do not have an import utility that will convert that export file to a TA4 dictionary. I'll take a look at it.
Jim Bretti
NextUp.com